How far from home were you allowed to go when you were a kid?

When I was in the lower elementary grades I was allowed to walk to my grandma's house (across the street and through a big field) and to school a couple blocks away by myself. Once I was in fourth grade I was able to go pretty much anywhere in town with my friends (granted we lived in a very small town) and by the time I was in 6th grade we were able to go on mile - 2 mile long bike rides.

I'm only 27, so it wasn't that long ago, and we live in an even more rural area now than where I grew up, but when I think about it, there's no way I would let my kid go that far. There are too many stories about child predators etc! What about you, how far could you go when you were a kid and do you/would you let your child do the same?

mbdc

Asked by mbdc at 10:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was a kid in the 1940's and lived in a really nice neighborhood ,in a big city. My Mom only let me go across the street to my best friend's house. Later when I was older, I was expected to come home on the bus after school and stay home. If I wanted to go anywhere,my Dad would drive me and pick me up. Roaming around any neighborhood can be dangerous, at any time,any place,I think.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• across the street and down the block if it was a good day . i had really strict parents. but i noticed because of the lack of trusth and the abundance of fear i would sneak off because i felt trapped and had no freedom.
    carla626

Answer by carla626 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I am almost 27 and my mom and dad never let me out of their sight. My mom was pregnant with me when she watched the movie Adam. (adam walsh). So that scared the living hell out of her.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• In elementry I was only able to go to the second light pole...that was 3 doors down(about half way down the block) and in middle school i was able to walk all over town..I could walk to school that was half way across town all on mail streets and to the part that was just as far...if we didnt get lost on the way....although my sister and I had to walk together. Unless we were with at least 1 of our friends...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I wasn't allowed to go that far but did when I could to venture out. Got into trouble too because of it. I am more strict with my boys because times are very different and because DH is a Cop too. I have been fortunate that my boys don't go really anywhere and their friends come to our house and they just hang out. I would still be strict even if DH wasn't a Cop.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 10:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I grew up in the 80's...I was allowed all over my side of the neighborhood. FAR...LOL Not towards any hwy's though. My son is allowed pretty far.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I used to babysit at 10 years old I am 31 now and wont let my daughter who is alomost 11 out of my sight.
    pcbc

Answer by pcbc at 11:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• lol, I was walking a mile home from school everyday in 5th grade. I used to stop at the drug store and get an ice cream for a nickle. In middle school same thing,,,at least a mile walk home. My friend and I used to play in this huge vacant field behind her house. There was a mansion there that was demolished and we used to go over there and go through what was left. My mom had no idea where I was, she thought I was at this friends house. We had no fear back then, that was in the 70's
    Anonymous

• oops sorry anon here again,,,no I would not let my children do the same. My kids are teens now and they have cell phones, which they better answer if they want to keep those phones on. I always know where my kids are,,,,such a different world now
    Anonymous

• I grew up in a suburb of New York City in the 70's and 80's. I was a latch key kid from age 8. I could go a mile away to the grocery store, 3 miles over to my friend's house. I rode my bike all over the place. It was rare that someone actually knew if I was home or not until mom walked in the door and I was sitting there watching tv. I guess I was smart enough to be home before she caught on.

Today I give my tweens some freedom. They are allowed to ride around the neighborhood or ride to school or camp. My 5 yr old has medical issues, so he's allowed only as far as the deck without someone with him.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010