Do you?

Donate when your children do fundraising for there school? This is my sons first year and not sure how much, We have 3 right now soon to be four so cant really afford alot so just curious what you do? What a good amount is i guess?

kara3

Asked by kara3 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give what you can afford to. Dont worry about it. Its just a fundraiser and there will be more. Everyone is in the same boat right now financially. :(
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My son sold candles and we order last. He can get prizes for a certain amount sold. Right before we turn it in, we see how close he is to the nearest
    prize and try to see if we can get him there. Last year we got two candles because he was two items away. This year we got one thing of lotion because he was $10 away. No one is going to care or even notice how much you donate or purchase.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• When we have the cash to spare , I do. When we're broke, I don't!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 8:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• We skip a good 70% of them. Our school has so many fund raisers, drives, carnivals, events etc. etc. etc that we would go broke if we donated to them all. I do box tops, we go to the fall carnival and I'll chip in for class parties, but if you live in a neighborhood where all your neighbors are selling the same magazines, wrapping paper, and holiday wreaths that you are, then it gets to a point where you feel like a beggar harassing your neighbors for the 3rd or more time in the year. Heaven forbid you have two kids in the same school. Then it's just ridiculous.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• We do whether we want to or not. They go to a Catholic school and we HAVE to collect $500 of donations a year. What we don't collect/donate goes on our tuition at the end of the year. This year they added in to our monthly payments so I'm not worried about it. We're already paying for it one way or another and I'd rather just give them the money and not get stupid crap (they sell crap).
    My girls are in scouts and they just got done with her magazine/nut drive and we didn't order anything from them. I'd love to help the troop out but we don't have the extra money and neither do our family, friends and neighbors. I don't feel guilty. I need to feed my kids before I need to donate.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My son sold chocolate candy bars, they were a dollar each, I bought a few.
    I don't feel guilty. I don't think it's my job to pay for everything his school does. I mean, if I had money to spare, I might be more generous. But, I feel my donations are better used with my tithes and offerings at church. That money is used for missions and outreach the world over and to some extent kids in other countries who have nothing to eat and would never have the luxury of school. I mean, my kid has books and a roof over his head and food in his tummy. It's a public school so my taxes are already paying for it, I don't really feel obligated to give more.
    unsuspected

Answer by unsuspected at 3:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2008