Can someone fill me in on the buzz about another stimulus check on the way...I've seen headlines, but my 13 month old is making it very hard to do the research right now...thnx

i've seen the headlines but have no clue what they are about....please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Ben Bernake (he's in charge of the Federal Reserve Bank) is strongly pushing Congress to consider it, but there's been no actual decision yet. He's afraid that the drop in the stock market plus the holidays coming up will cause the American economy to slip into a depression unless we increase our spending. I got my fingers crossed!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I havent heard, but there is a email scam going around about the IRS having money for you. It looks like an offical IRS email, but my computer blocked it, so I went to the IRS website and it was right there on their front page stating that they do not send out emails, so don't give any info if you see it.
    Seana1

Answer by Seana1 at 7:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I heard about it on yahoo news a while back. I think it would be a good idea. Especially with the holidays coming. It would put a lot of money into the economy. But it probably wouldn't be approved before Christmas. You remember how long it took last time.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 7:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• The democrats in Congress are pushing it. Last I heard, they are drafting the legislation. They figure Obama is going to win, so after the election, they will pass the bills (they control both houses so no laws can be passed right now without democrat support) and then Obama can sign it when he takes office. That won't be until the middle of January so don't start counting on it for Christmas spending now. Plus things could change and the democrats could change their mind. Just remember the old phrase - don't count your chickens until they hatch.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• 1. They are not presently passing a second package. http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE49K5ZZ20081021

2. From what I read, the second one that was proposed was not in the form of checks sent to us as before, but help for local and state governments.
    http://money.cnn.com/2008/10/10/news/economy/second_stimulus/
    Anonymous