Have you heard of taking Progesterone to help you stay preggo?

My friend was given Progesterone to help her stay preggo, since she has had a few miscarriages.

dancinintherain

Asked by dancinintherain at 11:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've used it. The theory is that taking progesterone won't stop a miscarriage that happens because of birth defects or other hormonal imbalances, implantation problems, etc. But if you are deficient in progesterone, it can definately help. Progesterone is what keeps your period from starting and cramps from coming. If you don't have enough, then your body can't sustain a pregnancy.

I don't know for usre if it helped me stay pregnant with my son, but I had a luteal phase defect that meant almost certain miscarriage, and I went on progesterone after my levels were drawn and were found to be very low, and I didn't lose him :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes, it MIGHT help but it is not a perfect means to prevent miscarriage. It generally only works if she is already a low progesterone producer.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Yes, it is a very common thing used to help women stay pregnant. One reason for miscarriage is because the progesterone levels get too low so this helps the levels stay where they need to be in order to carry the baby. They can usually discontinue it at a certain point. They have to get blood tests frequently to check the levels.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I also had several miscarriages, and then with my 3rd son I hemorrhaged, and they put me on progesterone, I had a healthy 8 lb. 12 oz. baby boy!!! He'll be 18 this month.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I took progesterone with my DS, now 11, because I miscarried the pregnancy before him and they ran my levels and found that I was extremely low. My sister took it also with 3 of her 4 pregnancies. You take it for the first trimester after that you don't need it anymore. It's such a simple fix for alot of women who would miscarry just because their body doesn't produce enough of that hormone.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:52 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Didnt know there was a medicine to keep you pregnant. How does it work?
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Interesting. Learn something new everyday. Goodluck to your friend. I hope it works.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I was on the progesterone shot until I was 12wks and I was on it because I had miscarriages. It worked because I'm now in my 23rd week.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 12:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I was on progesterone from week 6 to 14 with my last baby. I had two normal, full term pregnancies and then I suffered two miscarriages. When I got pregnant after the second loss, I made the doctor monitor my hcg and progesterone level. My progesterone level dropped from 20 to 15 in one week and I started suppositories immediately, 2 times a day. Around 14 weeks, the placenta takes over production and no longer requires outside help. I feel that if I had not taken it, I would have lost my son. He is now 7 months old and perfect! =)
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:10 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• All it does is tells that lining not to shed I tool it not knowing why I had 3 prior mc and my baby died and it took 3 weeks before I went into labor bc the hormone wouldn't let me. I ended up needing a dnc obs hand it out w out doing blood work and more often than not there's a different reason for mc
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 8:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2010