weening time?

my baby is seven months old, just got his 3rd teeth and he bites me alot! i was just wondering if it this is a good time to ween?

carla626

Asked by carla626 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wean whenever you are ready. I breastfed until my son was 23months old. Bites and all. But you know whats best for you and your child. Dont let anyone try to sike you out. If youve had enough then stop. Atleast he got some, which is alot better than none.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 11:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Personally I never brest fed, and you should ween when you think it is right, but I would think after the first bite brest feeding is done!
    mcadoojess

Answer by mcadoojess at 11:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• You can wean. Or you can teach him nursing etiquette. When he bites, pull him into your breast where he has to let go to breath and then sit him down and wait until next time to feed him. Do it every time he bites and wait longer to feed again. He will realize that bite equals no eating and he will stop. If you wean, he will still need expressed milk or formula until 12 months. And you need to wean slowly.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The AAP recommends at least a year. You can stop the biting pretty easily. Check out the Breastfeeding Moms group, there's a sticky about it.

I fyou decide to wean, that's fine too, though. I would encourage you to get through this temporary biting phase (it IS temporary!) because you've already made it so far! You made it through the first 6 weeks, which are usually the hardest.

Babies usually bite when they are left on the breast after they finish nursing. If you watch your baby for signs that they are almost done and then take them off before they have a chance to bite, you solve most of the problem. And any time you DO get bit, put baby on the floor, say NO! firmly and wait about a minute before re-latching them. If they bite again set them down and walk away. If after you try again they bite again, end the feeding for about 30 minutes and try again.

It took my daughter about 2 nursing sessions to stop.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I don't know about weening, but it is probably a good time to WEAN................
    Biting can be a deal breaker, as far as I am concerned.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• You can just delatch him and say "ouch, no biting Mommy!" Now, he doesn't really understand what you're saying, but he will learn that when he bites you, you break the latch (which he also won't like). He won't bite for long. Also, there may be a reason that he's biting you. Some babies bite when you try and feed them when they're not hungry. If the biting isn't often and isn't too painful, I'd say to stick with it for another week or so and see if he stops biting. If he just won't stop, then you can reevaluate your feelings on continuing to breastfeed. Good luck!

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 12:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Who voted down BradenIsMySon's answer? That was a good answer!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:34 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• When my daughter bit me, I said "NO Biting!" and I put her down. Nursing session over. She only bit me a couple times and she learned that if she wanted to nurse, she couldn't bite. They can't actually bite and suck at the same time so they tend to bite at the end when they're pretty much done. So if you pay attention you can break the latch before he bites.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• "Who voted down BradenIsMySon's answer? That was a good answer! "

I wondered that, too, so I gave it another vote up. LOL.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It happens no matter what I post. LOL Someone follows me around to vote me down I think.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:36 AM on Oct. 2, 2010