Why?

Why do you think it is legal to read the Bible in Prison but you can't read it freely in schools? Doesn't that seem a bit backwards? It sure does to me.
I know in some private schools and Christian schools it is allowed. Kids are also allowed to read it at lunch or break but I mean.....they can't freely read it whenever they want but you can in prison.

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 11:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think they should let the children read whateer they want as long as it isn't vulgar...but I do agree with you, they got it backwards. If they would allow Bible reading in schools, maybe the jails wouldn't be so full.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i wasn't aware that public schools wouldn't allow kids to bring it and read it in their spare time. why would they not? after all, they're just reading, not preaching or anything.
    its 'just a book', right??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have not heard of this. None of the schools my children have gone to is it not allowed. They do go to public school and any religion is allowed without prejudice. Since it is public they don't read it in class but the students who do want to may at anytime.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 11:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• They can read it in prison because that is their home, just like you can read it in your own home. And contrary to popular belief, kids can read it in school, just like they can read any other book. If your school, public or private, doesn't allow that, I'd take them to court!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I've never heard of a school not allowing it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• You can read it in school, just don't prosthelytize. Kids can't read it whenever they want because they can't read anything whenever they want in school, they are supposed to be doing school work. Prisoners can read the bible because they are adults and can choose to read what they want as far as I can tell...As long as our tax dollars aren't buying the bibles (pretty sure they are donated to prisons).
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 11:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My ds's high school (Hooray for New England!!!) doesn't censor any books in school (other than outright porn). The bible, the Koran, a Book of Shadows...or if like my son who is budhist...The Mahayana Sutras... or any of the gajillion other religions, beliefs, etc... Namaste!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 12:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2010