How do you tell a mentally unstable MIL she can`t babysit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• Just don't inform her you need her services. If she asks about it, say "We like to spend a lot of time together. If we decide to go out we'll call you if we want time without the kids." And then don't tell her you're going out and use someone else :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Need a little more information, but I'd say this is probably something her son should do.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• ummmmm maybe find one really good sitter and tell her the baby only stays with that person or go the honest route and tell her plain and simply you dont trust her with the baby good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I agree with ohwrite. I believe that the husband should deal with his parents, and you should deal with yours. Especially in the circumstance where 1 parent is mentally unstable...he, I'm sure, knows how to handle and deal with his mother's condition better than you..and she is most likely going to take it easier coming from him as well.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• One word.. Avoid.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:10 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Considering my husband grew up with his mom, he does`nt see some of the scary things as clearly as I do. I He has been getting better about making waves when they need to be made, but he has more stepping up to do.
    bb510

Answer by bb510 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Hahah...avoid. I`m good at that, but it`s hard when you live only a few miles apart!
    bb510

Answer by bb510 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I have and would say that we're not comfortable leaving him with anyone else other than the other parent. Then if it's something she wll know you are both going to, tell her that you have a babysitter, highly recomneded that's a nurse and that's all your comfortable with now.
    babyluv6379

Answer by babyluv6379 at 12:36 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• She's unstable so she is not going to take it well no matter how you slice it. Just tell her that you do not need her to watch the kids but that you would love to come over with the kids as a family or that she could visit anytime she'd like.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 12:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2010