Is it just me or does it seem like our DH/SO/BF's family doesn't care for us?

I've noticed a lot of questions that are saying that their husband, significant other or boyfriend's family just doesn't like us, and because of this their families are not accepting us into their families. For whatever reason, they should be happy that they found someone that they love, and welcome us into the family with open arms? What's happening with all this?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• I think what happens being unrealistic about relationships in general. People do not llike certain people and marriage will not change that. If a people would bring their dates to the family before they fall in love so that the family could give their take on that person, they would not have all these problems. I see too many cases were the parents or siblings NEVER liked the S/O and the person continues on with that person. They can be happy with that person all they want, but they can't expect others to be happy as well when that person is not someone they like.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 12:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I am about to be single again and when I date next I will not be dating for the family I will be dating for the person.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My husbands family loves me...well aside from his grandparents...the only reason they like me is because i gave birth to a son so it carries on the Adams family name....but they dont like me because they dont like how i call DH parents mom and dad lol....now aside from my dad noone in my family likes my husband lol
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My DH's family loves me.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• my in-laws are the sweetest people I have ever met...my MIL took me to dinner the day before my  birthday, then on my birthday she took me to see a chick flick with her, and the day after she brought me a cake, ice cream, and 2 very nice gifts. I call her my best friend and her and I are inseparable when we are together. We go shopping and lunch every Tuesday and Thursday together. She and I are respectful of one another, and she follows every rule I set down for the children...the perfect MIL! I <3 her so much!

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 1:36 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• In my case, I have come to understand that it's because his family lives in each other's backpockets. They thought I'd be that way too but I'm not. I think families should be close but enmeshed is something else and it creeps me out. Once our first baby came into the picture, it all went downhill in record time. They live in another state and think we need to be there every moment is not spent at work. They are jealous of my family and have lied about things my family supposedly did to them. They have even tried numerous times to create problems with me and DH. They have to control everyone around them and it's disturbing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My in-laws absolutely adore me! And I don't say this just because they "pretend" to like me when I'm around. No, they really do love me! And they think of me as part of the family, and not only because I married my husband. I AM a part of their family now, and will always be no matter what happens. They are a wonderful bunch of people, very kind, and compasionate, and just all around great people!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I seem to fit in pretty good with his family although we are a interracial couple and we both have a family member who doesn't approve... but who cares what they think
    patsymay84

Answer by patsymay84 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I love my ILs, they are the sweetest most giving people I have ever met. His mom is awesome. He is so sweet. She has called me her daughter on a few occassions and has stood up for me. And his dad is also so sweet and nice. These people would do anything for anyone in their family. I love them and they love me and DD.
    And my family LOVES my SO. We spend time with my mom almost daily and we even went with my dad to 2 concerts, the county fair, and plan on going with him to London in 2012 right before the Olympics.

I get sad when I read those posts about families not getting along. At least be able to be civil, for your kids. They deserve a life filled with love. Not drama within the family. IMO
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2010