Baby name issues!!

I have had a possible baby name picked out for a while and now I am expecting my first bby girl and can't wait to fit the name with the face!! But my sister-in-law just had a baby 8 months ago and when she was thinking of baby names she just happened to pick the middle name I already chos (she had no clue that I liked the name). I never made a comment and was just going to think of something else when the time came! Well thankfully she changes her mind but the name she chose is VERY similar, AND my "time" came sooner than I expected. If I use the middle name I fear that people will say I copied her, or he names will be too alike! It sounds trivial but just wanted thoughts, suggestions, or opinions on the matter from other moms!!

als9008

Asked by als9008 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Baby Names

• I think you are making it into a bigger deal than what it is. Middle names are hardly ever even spoken of. They seem important now, but literally I have probably only told like 5 or 10 people my son's middle name...and RARELY does anyone ask what it is or even remember it. And you said yourself the names are not the same...just similar. If it was a first name, I could see the issue, but with a middle name, let it go! Name her whatever name it is you picked out, and I guarentee no one will think anything of it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would just go with the name you liked if anyone asked just explain that you had the name picked out way before she had her baby and believe me I bet the whole family will think its funny that you kept it a secret this whole time. I did this with my second child because his family really wanted me to name her "Delicious Peaches" and my grandma wanted me to name her after her mother. The first name I was not going with no mater what because it sounded like I was giving birth to a striper instead of a baby and the second one I did not want to do because I had already picked my Grandfathers "Great grandmothers" name for her and I thought it would hurt her feelings. But when Artimecia was born my grandma told me the name was just right and fit her, and she would not have wanted it any other way.
    MisticDawn6

Answer by MisticDawn6 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My dd's name is Elizabeth after my grandma... Born in Aug 06. My sister had a baby in Oct 07 and her first name is Elizabeth!! She never asked what I thought or even hinted she was going to name her Elizabeth. She has said she was going to name her Bethany (Beth is also a family name).. Kinda hurt my feelings and people wonder why she named her a name I already used....

I'd say talk to her, just to get her opinion. If you've liked the name for so long you shouldn't have to lose out on the name, b/c you didn't get pregnant before her. I think she would understand. If other people don't O-well!! You can explain it or they can get over it!! lol I would have liked to at least be asked! lol
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 1:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yup they gonna say that but you like the name so use it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Since it is a middle name I say if you like it, use it. In my family the name Marie is a popular middle name. It is my mother's middle name, it is my middle name, and my mom's sister used it as a middle name for her daughter (who is younger than I am). My Uncle married someone whose middle name is Marie, and she said if she would have had girls instead of boys she would have used that as a middle name as well.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:08 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• ***********The name I want to use is a family name on my side thats why I like it so much and it matches the first name soo well, she just happened to think of it just because... I dont think she will mind and I will definitely mention it but I think I will wait until later in the pregnancy because I want it to be somewhat of a suprise...
    als9008

Comment by als9008 (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think you should go ahead and use the name that you like and have picked out. It's not the SAME name and you have a REASON for wanting to name your baby that. You can always do what my husband and I did...everyone gave us grief for naming our first son Kameron (apparently he will be teased for being named that?!) so when we had our second son, we didn't tell anyone the name we chose until he was born...then it's already done and they can either like it, or don't :)
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think you should go ahead and use the name that you love. The names are not the same, they are just similar. If anyone gives you any lip about it, tell them it's a family name and you've wanted to use it since before either of you had kids.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Middle name is no big deal. She didn't even use the exact name so I don't know why it would bother her. If it were the first thing it might be different but really I wouldn't worry about it.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 7:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would just go with it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:44 PM on Oct. 2, 2010