Book Recommendation

Hello Ladies! I am looking for a book recommendation. Anything along the lines of pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, parenting, TTC, VBAC, etc. Thank you all for your help!

mrsmommy2007

Asked by mrsmommy2007 at 12:34 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Your Best Birth by Rikki Lake

Birth After Cesarean: the Medical Facts by Dr. Bruce Flamm

Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler

Our Babies: Ourselves by Meredith Small

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League

Heart and Hands... can't remember the author (more technical for midwives than for expecting mothers)

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin

Pushed by Jennifer Block

The Birth Machine by Marsden Wagner (anything by him, actually)

Birth by Tina Cassidy

Childbirth Without Fear by Grantley Dick-Read

So THAT'S what they're for! by Janet Tomaro

Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers (don't know author)

... that's all I got for now lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• you know thats one subject thats not in my library! i never even heard of those books thanks for posing this question.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 2:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Love Birth by Tina Cassidy. Gonna read it again. lol. Thank you for a great list!!
    mrsmommy2007

Comment by mrsmommy2007 (original poster) at 12:53 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I learned SOOOO much from that book! It was amazing. If you don't mind my asking... what do you need the list for? Are you studying for something other than motherhood? :p
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:57 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I WISH! LOL. However my warped little brain loves to read and I would love to one day open a birthing center in my area since there isnt one. Pipe dream I know. I am, however, waiting on a call form 1 of 3 WIC offices about their breastfeeding counselor positions. So *shrugs* lol I would l love to get it.
    mrsmommy2007

Comment by mrsmommy2007 (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Have you considered going into doula work or childbirth education? I'm a certified childbirth educator and love it. I also co-run a Dar a Luz chapter... you should look into that. Dar a Luz is a great organization offering unconditional support to pregnant women and new mothers, it's a great way to volunteer in the birth community :)

www.daraluznetwork.com

I went through Childbirth International for my certification and it was a great program. It's pretty affordable and they have payment plans and do all distance learning (no workshops) :)

www.childbirthinternational.com

You don't have to put your dreams on hold entirely. You can still work in the birth community with small children... I manage it and I don't even use a babysitter lol. My babies come with me everywhere. And we always need more informed women out there helping other moms!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I have. Even before I was a Mom too. Unfortunately I keep running into speed bumps. CBE classes (closest according to the website I found) 2 hours away. And I dont even live in the middle of no where I live in a very populated partof the US.... Doula classes are a bit far too and very infrequent. However CBE is something I would LOVE to do. That is in my plan of things I would love to do. lol. I will check the links out Thank you!

PS. Birth story on your journals= me in tears! lol
    mrsmommy2007

Comment by mrsmommy2007 (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• CBI (my certifying organization) doesn't require classes. YOu do everything online and in the books they send you :)

And thank you :) I LOVE my son's birth story... it means everything to me lol. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I just bookmarked it. it looks like it takes a year ish and is only 710$ so I am gonna work on that. I had a great Birth Teacher when I had my son and I would like to think it was her that inspired me. Her and my Aunt was a teacher (just language but she LOVED helping people) she passed at the beginning of this year but she I would like to think she is still around nudging me in the right direction.
    mrsmommy2007

Comment by mrsmommy2007 (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It took me 3 months to finish that course lol. And I had a 6 month old baby. So it can definately be done a LOT faster. I'll warn you, though, that CBE takes some work to build up. I haven't had that many clients and I'm in pretty tight with the birth community here. You have to work at it to make your money back, but it's worth it when you help a mom and dad work through their birth fears and have a better birth experience.

That's such a sweet story... it's so amazing what one person (or in your case, two lol) can inspire us to do.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2010