Is amniocentesis more risky after 22 weeks? Or the same?

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's most dangerous in the first trimester. After 20 weeks the risks of miscarriage decline, but it is still a somewhat risky procedure. My sisters' brother (they have a different mom, he shares their mom lol) has a scar on his leg where he was accidentally stabbed with the needle when his mother had an amnio.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• The further along you are the risks become lower. At 22 weeks it will be safer than in the 1st trimester. I had all three of mine before 20 weeks and no sooner than 16 weeks and it everything was fine.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 1:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I personally would never get an amniocentesis done. The risks scare me too bad. Have they done the quad screen or level 2 u/s on you yet?

ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 3:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I refused to get one. The % of miscarriage was low but I didn't want to take that chance. I'm waiting until birth to find out. I'll know in 18 days.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 12:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2010