Homemade Purell/Germ-X

Does anyone have a recipe for Homemade Germ-X or homemade purell? I've heard it's easy to make and I'm getting ready to have a new baby. It would be MUCH cheaper to make a huge batch then to buy enough to make sure everyone keeps their hands clean and the germs off the baby....especially in the cold and flu season.

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 12:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Here's what I found online...

It turns out that for a sanitizer to actually sanitize, you need at least 60% alcohol.

Here’s a simple formula that will do the trick:

•Use 100% pure Aloe Vera Gel
    •Use 91% or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol
    •Add 3 parts of gel to 7 parts of Alcohol (I used tablespoons) and add to a sealable plastic dispenser (the kind you can find in the cosmetic or travel section of most drug stores).
    •Shake well.
    The resulting gel will be only slightly thinner than the store bought kind. You might want to add some scent to mask the slightly stronger smell. The gel will feel a bit stickier on your hand because it also contains a moisturizer.

Some people recommend using Vodka instead of Isopropyl. The problem is: alcohol itself is typically only 40% alcohol – which isn’t enough to do a proper job, much less when mixed with the Aloe Gel. But if you can find some 180 proof spirts, you can use th
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Thanks!! This is a great idea!!
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2010