if a 1 week old baby hasn't had a bowel movement in 3 days is this a problem? what can be done to make them have a bowel movement if anything? should i just contact the dr.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should ask the doctor but I gave a little bit of sugar water and it worked okay.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• If you're breastfeeding it can be totally normal. I have never seen a constipated breastfed baby and neither has my pediatrician or midwife.

If you are formula feeding it could be constipation. Ask your doctor what he recommends you use to remedy the situation. Some use sugar water, some use Karo syrup, others use juice if baby is old enough, some use suppositories... it depends, so talk to the doc :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:01 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would call the doc...my son always had at least one bm a day.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Is he breastfed or formula fed? 3 days is usually not a concern for breastfed babies because there is very little waste in breastmilk, 3 days for a formula fed baby is a little more concerning, but not a whole lot. At 1 week old, babies' systems are still starting to get into the hang of things. My son's doctor told me that they don't learn how to poop normally until they are 2 months old. The push but tighten their rectum closed so that is literally does nothing. If he seems uncomfortable, gassy, irritable, his belly is hard, or he does have a bowel movement and it is hard or pellet like, it is most likely a problem with the formula he is eating, if he is FF. However, I would give it another day or so and then give the doc a call.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• when my children had this issue i always gave them a little water to sip on between feedings ... i used the baby water in a gallon jug from walmart
    Fanged_Orchid

Answer by Fanged_Orchid at 2:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Baby is only 3 days old so there is no "safe" method to use besides baby massage, peddling the legs, etc. If your child is a formula fed baby then give the doctor a call. If baby is breastfed give it a day or two more as long as you are also getting the appropriate wet diapers.

NEVER give a child Karo syrup because there is a botulism risk and botulism is deadly to infants.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 8:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• While it IS common for EBF babies to go days or weeks between bowel movements, this change in bowel habits does not usually occur until about 4-6 weeks. I would speak to an IBCLC on this matter, and possibly the pedi as well.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• We have a 3 week old...she was the exact same at one week. She went 3 or 4 days without a bm...she finally went. Now at 3 weeks she is starting to get a little more regular....every other day...and she is formula fed. Her pediatrician didn't seem concerned at all when she didn't go for 3-4 days. We also have a son who is now 3 1/2. When he was little we had to give him a suppository every other day. We would just stick it a little ways up for a few seconds....and that would all he would need. We did this until he started moving around more on his own....less than a year. Now at 3 1/2...he has NO PROBLEM...let me tell ya. I would not put anything in the bottle like Kayro syrup etc....My mom always suggested that...but I can't imagine that would be good. You could try the sugar water..The hospital had us give our little one sugar water for the first feeding in the hospital...so you would think that would be okay....
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 3:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2010