Hey Washington....get out of my life!!

There is absolutely no doubt that we, as a nation, need federal and state laws and regulations. But where is the boundary that you think goes too far into your personal rights?

Should the government have a say in your prenatal care or birth of your child?...your personal diet?....what you see on the internet?...where you worship?....what language you speak?

Or do you feel that the government is doing a good job so far, and they aren't making too many laws that do more harm than good?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 1:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• is the government currently regulating our prenatal care,

Yes they are. There are some states where homebirths are illegal. That is the government getting into personal business. A woman should not be forced into a hospital to have a baby and she should not be forced into prenatal care.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• They need to back off....... We are slowly becoming a socialist country.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:14 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• The government needs to SERIOUSLY back off of personal rights, in my opinion. No one should have the right to tell someone where they can give birth, what they can do to their own body, etc.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• The government needs to retract and get out of a large portion of my life. I do not need "sitting" by the nanny state we have allowed to form.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• They need to realize that America was meant for freedom. With Washington continuing to change our rights, everything we do now will at some time become illegal. But it doesn't seem that the people come here illegally get any punishment for coming here. What do you think would happen if we went to their country.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:20 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think the gubmint should fix pot holes (infrastructure), fund the military, and take care of state/federal lands ~ that's it. I don't think it should be involved with retirement funds, schools, welfare programs, no pork projects, no FEMA, etc. People should be responsible about their own lives and welfare. They should carry insurance for their homes or build them somewhere without hurricanes/tornadoes/flooding/forest fires. Schools should be run locally and centered (once again) on education instead of touchy feel good crud.

I also think the gubmint should work on immigration and foreign policy ~ and enforce our laws while seeing to OUR best interests. If all of that happened, we'd have a government again instead of a gubmint headed up by an Uncle Sam practicing thievery and slavery.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I want the govt to stay out of our lives except to protect our borders and defend us from foreign enemies which they are charged to do by the Constitution. They make far too many laws that intrude in our lives, want to regulate everything and have control over everything. I just read an article in the paper yesterday that they want all internet, cell phone companies, social networks and blackberry to install equipment so they can listen in and read conversations without a wire tap. I find that horrifying. We are becoming a socialist nation and a police state and I want it to STOP. Abortion should be between a woman and her doctor, the govt should have nothing to do with it. I don't think the govt should be involved in health care, telling us what foods we can eat, invading our privacy. Just stay out of our lives if we are not commiting criminal acts.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:46 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Women are getting court orders to have a c-section

I ABHOR the notion of a forced C-section, I drove a half and hour OUT of the major metropolitan area where I live to have a vbac friendly doc, but that's not the feds.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Gertie, homebirth isn't "primative"
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Home birth originated centuries ago when people did not have access to a hospital---my gramma had her 4 kids at home,on the farm,and those were primitive conditions. she had no access to the benefits of any emergency preventive procedures,nothing. I know many are fortunate to have uncomplicated home births now---my neice has had 4, but I sure as hell wouldn't have had a home birth. My first was complicated by placental abruption and hemorrhages,,,,how would that have worked? Not well,right?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2010