How can I help get our dog ready for our new arrival?

We are expecting our first child in December and I'm worried how our 1 year old puppy will handle the new family member.

He is a Maremma sheepdog and is still VERY much a puppy. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

tayanna2

Asked by tayanna2 at 1:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Pets

• i was worried about that to when i had my daughter, dr told me to give my dog the lil hat they put on the baby once he/she is born, that way the dog can sniff..chances are your dog knows something is going on, they can sense pregnant woman..i also used to let my dog rest his head on my tummy, when baby was kicking..when we got home, she was PERFECT with my new baby girl!! best of luck!! and congrats :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I have cats, and what we did was we put the baby stuff out (swing, stroller, crib) ahead of time and let the cats get used to it so by the time the baby was born they were 'bored' with it and ignored it. You should take baby blankets or baby clothes to the hospital and get the baby's smell on it and have your husband take it home for the pup to sniff each day, so when baby comes home pup will be familiar with baby's smell and might not be as curious.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:34 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• someone suggested this to us and we did it with both kids... right after the baby is born, the nurse will put a hat on him or her... have your hubby take that hat home that first night and give it to the dog. (don't worry, the hospital will give you another). This will let the dog have the baby's scent before she or he comes home.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes, MommyH2 I had heard and read that giving the dog a smelling scent of the baby does help.

Just rub the baby at the hospital with something/clothing before bring he/her home.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• yup, I agree.. give the hat to the pup before bringing baby home. Also, set everything out before hand. Swings, get the crib all set up, bouncy seats and what not, that way puppy is already use to it all being out. Also, see about finding videos on youtube of babies crying, so he can get use to that sound too. Baby cry always upset our pup for the first couple of weeks with our first born. If he's use to it before baby comes, it makes it much better!
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 12:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• You will probably be pleasantly surprised that the dog does well. Our dogs ar big fans of the new baby. We did no specials socialization.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• take a baby blanket and sprinkle some baby powder on it so it smells like the baby and let your dog have it, play with it, sleep with it they way he gets use to the smell of the baby.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2010