What do you think about kids with cell phones?

blessingmommy

Asked by blessingmommy at 1:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• They are not recommended under a certain age (maybe 10.... I don't remember because my children are still toddlers).
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Well, knowing that I grew up just fine without one, IMO a kid does not need a cell phone until he or she starts driving.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• well my 6yr old and 9yr old both have pre pay cell phones cuz i got tired of giving my cell phone to my kids and having them drop it...so i add min as needed and they get unlimited txting...i see nothing bad with it... they just can not take it to school but can have it at home to call there dad that way he dont blow up my phone and hangs up on me...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:32 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• No i didn't have one growing up yea i felt like the only one and school but i benifited from it i wasn't distracted all the time and i got into less trouble cause i wasn't always talking about mischivious plans, i wouldn't see a need for it unless they had a car then yes and if ur worried about safety they have phones where they can only dial out medical emergencies and select numbers like mom and dad but thats it
    Proverbs3127

Answer by Proverbs3127 at 1:33 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I don't believe a child should have a cell phone at all; at least not all the time. When my sister and I were teenagers cell phones were given to us when we were somewhere, away from our parents. However, the phones were given back to our parents when we got home.
    Arielles_Mommy

Answer by Arielles_Mommy at 1:35 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My son will be 5 next year, and starting school. And there is no way in hell he's going to school without a phone on him... We're getting him one of those ones that you can program like 3 numbers in and that's it... But I simply don't think it's safe to leave children with no way to communicate if there is trouble.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I have a 14 year old step daughter she has a pre pay phone. I was the worst idea i have every had that is all she does is talk or text on her phone all day long her grade are falling and one day her father try to take her cell phone she call the police and told them the that her father was trying to kill her. And all he say was give me the phone until your grade got better. And got him arrest for that she is not back at her mother house. But some of the covestion that this 14 year girl was having on the phone was scary. Cell phone give her way to much power. It maybe different for different people i will never try that again.
    march3-2011

Answer by march3-2011 at 8:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I didn't have one, so they can manage as well
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I didn't get my first cellphone until I was 19, for my 19th birthday in fact, my then finace and mil bought it for me. My goddaughter it seems has always had one. & shes always on it. My son will be at least 16 before I pay for him to have a cellphone. Young children do not need cellphones, it will only cause problems.

Last night I was fixing a cellphone for a friend when we went out dinner, you should have heard the comments being made about me being on his cellphone (The man is an older man & he's not good at figuring out things.) I nicely stated that I was an adult, I wasn't his child (The man who was complaing, who wasn't EVEN WITH US) & I was fixing someone else phone..
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:44 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I don't think kids are responsible enough to have cell phones until they are at least driving age and then I think they should have jobs. I know of too many kids that text during school classes, during driving, and are just plain careless.
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2010