How can I control my 2yr daughter tantrums in public?

Ok, my kid is a good kid... AT HOME...Okay we use to go out and we would enjoy ourselves, but now nearly each time is a disaster. All the crying and whining.. Ugh! For no reason too. It is so fustrating to go shopping with her sometimes. I have tried letting her cry it out... BUT.. this girl can cry FOREVER!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It seems like they always have perfect timing, so to speak, doesn't it!! LOL! I always believe in removing the child and taking him to a private location, such as the car, a bathroom, or even a dressing room. Take him in there away from everyone else until he can behave himself.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:33 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would make sure she isn't tired or hungry or anything before you go. also make sure they are short outings to begin with, a shopping trip, even to the grocery store can sometimes be very long for a toddler. sounds like she's just going through a stage, i've been there! Sometimes you just have to leave, whether you're in the middle of shopping or not. you could also try taking her to the car or bathroom to talk in a calm environment. :) GL and don't forget, every mom has been through a public tantrum, don't be embarrassed. If people stare, just give em your best smile...
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 1:35 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Do you know what sets her off? Does she not want to be where you go, or does she see & want something and you say no?
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:36 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• i was told to carry on like you are doing and don't end the trip just because of that then they get their way and u will be rewarding bad behavior, i would discipline in the store if not in front of everyone then take her to the bathroom thats what i usually do.
    Proverbs3127

Answer by Proverbs3127 at 1:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It's not because I tell her no... I always keep food and water/juice, toys, etc with me... I have tried ignorin and continuing what I am doing, but she gets LOUDER!!!!
    KamiMom1

Answer by KamiMom1 at 1:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• They'll do this if they are hungry, or just having a fit that they wanted the t.v. longer, pack some cheese nips, or a special treat, but their are so few at this age, that are safe anyways. How would she do with a sugar --free soda, the bubbles would be interesting. ....put it into a sippy cup.

I used to let mine eat a candy necklace, since they can't chew through the string, just suck on the candy .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• If talking to her doesn't work, throw the fit with her! It worked for my kids. They either got embarrassed because I looked like a total fool and they were with me, or they thought I was crazy and it distracted them from throwing their fits. They quit after a couple of fits that I threw with them.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2010