What do I say to people who say my sons aren't "Real Soldiers" because they are "Only in the Guards"!!!!

I have 1 son in basic training at Ft. Sill, OK and another leaving for basic in Feb. for Ft. Jackson, SC. And when I tell people (family members) they say my sons aren't real soldiers since they are not active like their sons are

cubandkatsgma

Asked by cubandkatsgma at 7:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• tell em to kiss your behind. Seriously. Just because they are in the Guard does not mean they are not real soldiers. They have a chance to go to the war just like anyone else.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Thank you!!! I'm in the guard and we get deployed just like active duty. If we didn't have the guard who would be helping people during hurricanes, earthquakes, and so on?
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 7:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Tell your family to go jump off a bridge.....................and please pass along my families gratitude to your honorable and brave sonsfor their service!!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• you tell your family to kiss off. Guards go to war just like active duty and also they deploy alot longer then active duty. Guards deploy for 15 to 18months at a time where active duty now only deploys for 12months at a time. Regardless of being active duty or in the guards its never easy with a loved one in the millitairy i know my husband is in the army. tell your sons thanks for serving.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Calmly ask them... "Just who do you think is doing the fighting in Iraq? The Boy Scouts? No, the National Guard."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Ask them if they are voting for Obama and they "well you understand their ignorance then, and tell them to kiss your ass." There are a lot of Americans that thank all branches of service. Thank your boys for me and my family would ya. Hugs
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I was just kidding about the obama thing. Just in case you support him, I know you are patriotic if your sons are joining the military any branch. It's just my way of dealing with the fact he's probably going to be elected
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Just tell them to bite your ass. Your sons are every bit soldiers and how dare they say otherwise.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 8:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• You tell them they have to maintain a job and serve in the military. They give up a weekend a month and they usually use their vacation time to do their two week duty. Not many employers will give them time off with pay to do the two weeks. These men and women work hard and constantly train. And yes the serve in Iraq along with full time people. They are very much a real solider and we are proud of them.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I was Active Duty. My husband is still on Active Duty. One way or the other, we've been doing this for 18 years, so we're the "real military" they're talking about - unless they don't think the Navy is "real military enough for them?!? (If that's the case - point out to them that my dh has done time on the ground in Iraq, too, even though he's Navy.) You can tell them that this crotchety old Navy wife and Vet has THIS to say about their "real military" -

con't
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2008