Bible Verses

What if any bible verses would you consider getting tattoo'd on your body?

Natashaheart

Asked by Natashaheart at 7:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'd THINK about this one before having one tattooed on me at all.

'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."
    Leviticus 19:27-29
    Anonymous

• Leviticus 19:27-29
    Anonymous

• Here's the whole passage, so if you're going to say Tattooing is wrong, I guess no one in your house cuts the hair on the sides of their head and your husband doesn't shave his beard?

"You are not to eat [anything] with blood [in it]. (AK) [e] You are not to practice divination (AL) or sorcery. (AM) 27 You are not to cut off the hair at the sides of your head or mar the edge of your beard. (AN) 28 You are not to make gashes on your bodies for the dead (AO) or put tattoo marks on yourselves; I am the LORD.

craftyleah

Answer by craftyleah at 7:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I currently have 2 Cor. 5:17 with a butterfly on my wrist. I will be getting a crown of thorns on my left finger soon. Find a verse that is significant to you that has special meaning.

Also check Christian tattoo websites for ideas. For a full teaching on tattoos... type in tattoo preacher on myspace.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Ugh! The Leviticus verses are always taken out of context! God commanded Israel to be set apart and not behave like the pagans they lived around. At that time, those Gentiles would cut themselves or mark themselves in homage to the dead. It was a way of worshiping the dead. God made a Law for Israel....the Law was fulfilled by Christ's death. But if you are still so stuck on that Law than read the rest and follow it to a T. Can't go 1/2 way you know. Can't pick some and leave others. Come on now.

I have tattoos and no I don't worship my dead relatives. As for a verse...I am trying to find a cool way of getting either Phil 1:21 or John 3:30, which are my life verses. Not sure just yet, how to do that. =)
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 8:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• lifeofchaos - I love that phil 1:21 passage.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Good job lifeofchaois!! I feel the same way! I have tattoos but recieved them all before I really became a Christian. I've been toying with the idea of another one but am not sure what to get....
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Leviticus 19:26-31 deals with pagan practices and God's prohibitions against adopting those practices. In verse 28, God is warning the Jewish people about a pagan practice at funerals, where pagans would mutilate/mark themselves to appease their false gods. The pagans hoped that by cutting themselves and marking images/symbols of idols on their bodies, that they would obtain favour in the afterlife from their false gods, both for themselves and for those who just died.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i have Photobucket
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2008