question about contractions

I've been having braxton hicks contractions for 2 days now... I am 3 day over due... is it normal to have these bh contractions for 2 days??? my stomach muscles are starting to hurt and its getting quite irritating
PLEASE DON'T tell me to start timing them!!!! I am NOT going to time them untill they start hurting... I just want to know if its normal

Niltiak

Asked by Niltiak at 1:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's very normal.I had braxton hicks with my daughter about 4 weeks before her due date.Don't panic if you think your in real labor cause you can tell the difference from braxtons to the real thing.Believe me real contractions hurt like heck!
    alisha34886

Answer by alisha34886 at 1:48 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It is very normal. But contractions don't necessarily have to hurt to be in active labor. You should be timing them.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:57 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It is normal. I have had BH since I was 24 weeks. I am now at 36 weeks and they are 5 mins apart and have been like this for weeks with no dilation or signs of labor. They are pretty strong at times and stop me in my tracks so I am on bed rest because the second I start to move they really start up and I have to sit or lay down. You will know when you are in labor because the contractions will be getting closer together and more painful.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 1:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I had them for about a week before I went into labor. I thought it was more braxton hicks contractions when I was actually in labor for like 2 days. As far as I know, it's totally normal.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Good Luck Congenial... I hope the rest of ur pregnancy goes a little smoother for you and thank you ladies.... I am only 1 cm as of wed and I haven't lost my mucuous plug yet SO i'm just guess this is practice... not the real thing... but who knows and like i said I really don't care enough to time them! when it starts hurting or becoming somewhat uncomfortable i will start then but untill then there is NO NEED ... you ladies are the BEST!!!!
    Niltiak

Comment by Niltiak (original poster) at 2:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I was going to say call your ob or midwife to be on the safe side.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 3:09 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes, it is normal. It can continue for 5 days.

You are not 3 days 'overdue' --you are 3 days past the projected due date, which is accurate in fewer than 25% of births. It is normal for most births to happen between 2 weeks before to 2 weeks after the projected date. Since you could have ovulated anywhere from during your last period to three days before your first missed period, the due date is a complete guess. Even measuring the baby's head won't tell you anything, because babies don't start growing at different rates after birth, they've done it all along.

And, contractions do not necessarily hurt. They're just muscles working and shouldn't hurt any more than hiking up a hill --as long as you don't get too fatigued or dehydrated (drink, eat if you're hungry, just like marathon runners do).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:01 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My early contractions didn't hurt, but they did start dilation. I timed them just because I was on bed rest and it being my first baby I wasn't sure :) My contractions didn't hurt until the pitocin kicked them into active labor- THEN they hurt lol. This was two weeks after I started having them. Never lost my plug that I noticed.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2010