OK ANY LEGAL EXPERTS OUT THERE? HERE IS A QUESTION... IF YOU HAVESOLE AND PHYSICAL CUSTODY OF YOU CHILDREN AND THE FATHER WAS AWARDED VISATATION AS LONG AS BOTH PARTIES AGREED ON LOCATION AND TIME,WHAT HAPPENS IF THE MOTHER MOVES TO ANOTHER STATE? WILL IT MAKE A DIFFRENCE IF THE FATHER HAS NOT SEEN THE CHILDREN IN OVER A YEAR SINCE THE ORDER FOR VISATATION WAS MADE?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• Depending on the state... where I live if you move you have to notify the other party in writing and the court. He would have the right to dispute it. Sole custody doesn't always mean the same things in every state either. Check with the state you are moving to as well as the one you are leaving. Be prepared to have to share transportation if he chooses to have visitation as it's your choice to move the court may make you share the burden.
    MissyJo68

Answer by MissyJo68 at 6:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I work for a lawyer, and I believe that if the mother wants to move out of state, then there has to be an adjustment in the divorce decree regarding the child custody. As to if it will matter that he hasn't seen the children in over a year, I don't think that will make a difference because in the decree... it's his RIGHT to have visitation.. whether or not he chooses to use it.
    KeelinsMommy

Answer by KeelinsMommy at 6:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• If the mother has Sole custody then she make's the rule's, and can do what ever, though he can try and stop her from moving by bringing her to court, good luck tuff call.
    sillybabys

Answer by sillybabys at 8:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2008