What would make you kick your kid out of the house?

(sort of a jump off of a jump off post)
Honestly, for me nothing.. but I'm curious what it would take some mom's to kick their kid out, even as young as 16.

You can post anon if you want. But be completely honest please.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 2:34 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I can honestly say there would be nothing that would make me kick my child out of my house. There is nothing that we can't work through as a family.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Believing it is a parent's job to control a child, everything they think and do, tends to create the kind of fed up frustration that results in booting the kid out. It's more or less 'spanking as a last resort' for parents of kids big enough to hit them back.

I can't imagine something going so wrong with my relationship with my kids that they'd do something so incredibly obnoxious that I'd feel compelled to kick them out. Since they're now 21 and 19... I suppose it's too late, really.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• if they were 16 no i wouldnt. but if they are older like 20 id give them a month to find a job. if they stayed id expect them to help around the house. like with bills, cleaning , cooking etc....
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 3:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Having kids in the age group you're talking about (mine are 16 and 17), and knowing them the way I do, I can't imagine them doing any of these things, but, there are some things that, IF, in some alternate universe, this was to happen, I would kick them out...

Like - if my 17 yr old ds was to rape my 16 yr old dd, though I would pay for his counseling, and help with legal fees and it would break my heart. Extreme, chronic, drug use - though that would be more like you can't live here if this is what you're going to do, which is why we're having you committed to a treatment facility. If they became physically abusive to me or another member of the family (like if my ds, who is bigger than I am, decided to beat me up, or my dd, who is smaller than I am, pulled a weapon on me/ another family member...)

But like I said, I can't imagine my kids doing anything like any of these things, so it's really a non issue for me :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:36 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would never disown my daughter but I would give her tough love and kick her out if she was 18 and doing drugs, not working or going to school, or drinking heavily, or getting herself into problems with the law all the time.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 6:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I don't know that I ever would... I think the only situation might be if they are chronically doing things like drugs or something dangerous that might be a threat to others in the home (like siblings)... but I wouldn't boot them to the street... maybe a treatment center or something. Hopefully I never have to do anything like that.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:57 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I dont think anything. I do have teens and have thought about all of it.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• That's a tough one... but I don't think I can do that to my son. He is 8 going on 9 so far we have a good relationship we sit and talk about a lot of stuff, like girls, drugs, drinking, smoking and partying. I hope we can continue communicating as he grow older.
    sher1266

Answer by sher1266 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• stressedoutgran: I can agree with that.. but at that point they aren't kids any longer, lol, they are adults (well technically, that doesn't mean maturity, lol).
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 3:09 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I have kicked one child out at the age of 16 1/2. I didn't do it because I didn't love her, quite the opposite, she needed a wake up call and she needed it now. She was rebellious (normal) but she took it to the extreme, I was tired of being told I was worthless and I couldn't make her do anything, I was tired of my house being a hotel and only worthy of being a part of when she wanted something...the list goes on. So one day after an argument where she raised her hand at me I told her to pack and leave. She did, she did go to my MIL's and let's just say living with my MIL is not an easy thing. I did not call her or talk to her (MIL kept me up to date) finally 2 weeks later my DD calls, crying, wanting to come home. WE had a long talk and the one thing she kept saying is "I thought you would come get me..you didn't?" I felt so bad but I..............Continued
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:34 AM on Oct. 2, 2010