A baby gets craddle cap on their head after hair wash

What can be done to stop that? We're on the four different brand of shampoo and nothing seems to be working? Wha tdo you use?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 2:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Strangely, stop using shampoo --particularly the 'no tears' kind, which strips the natural oils so very well.

Like acne, cradle cap is an overabundance of sebum (skin oil) that is made infinitely worse by trying to take all the oils off the skin/scalp --because the living skin senses an absence of protective oils and makes more. In the case of frequent, harsh product washing, lots and lots more oil.

The best way to treat cradle cap is with food-grade oil --olive oil is nice because it's thick, but any will work. Massage it gently into your baby's hair and leave it for a few hours, comb out the dead skin (which is the rest of the yuck) and leave it. If you feel absolutely compelled to shampoo the oil out (which is unnecessary, but whatever) buy a product that says right on it 'balances the pH' or 'protects the acid mantle of the skin' or something like that. Body Shop used to have one, may still. Melaleuca makes one.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• ur pediatrician can prescribe a shampoo for it, I got it for my daughter, because she was blond and had the scaliest looking head ever!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 5:57 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• i used vegetable oil on my daughters head it worked really well
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• my doc told me to use Nutrogena T-gel... extremely carefully. Hold baby over a sink, and use the baby hairbrush to scrub it in gently. I only had to use it once per child.
    wenchmommy381

Answer by wenchmommy381 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• i used baby oil, it helped for my youngest
    tjnorton

Answer by tjnorton at 3:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I use the soft scrubbie they send you home with from the hospital to help loosen the dry skin before i wash his hair and put lotion on his head after i give him a bath.
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 10:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2010