I want to divorce my husband but I am losing my job. Is it a financially hopeless thing to do?

He is retired and his income is barely enough to afford himself in a cheap country. We have a 17 year old High School senior who wants to go to an art institute after her graduation.

Setmefree503

Asked by Setmefree503 at 3:45 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• The 17yo is going to have to be responsible for her own education --which makes sense, since it will be she who is benefiting the most from it.

Why do you want a divorce? Why is your husband retired if he can't afford to be? Why is losing your job the end of your financial prospects?

You sound hopeless, to me. Not that I think hope has huge value, or anything... but it sounds like you've given up. Perhaps you could spend some time re-connecting with yourself and your life, and maybe you'll find that fixing the circumstances isn't going to repair your lost connection to you...and your husband, financial picture, future education or employment status really has very little to do with your happiness.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Well, if that was me I would tell the 17 yr old that they would have to get scholarships to go to college or student loans they are the ones that would benefit from the education not you and there are other jobs out there I wouldn't stay with a man for financial reasons only.

I think, you think there is no other answers but there always are look further into what you want to do do you really want to be financially responsible for your 17 yr old for the next how many years?

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• That's up to you.....Your child may have to find a way to put him/herself through school.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• you cant stay in a relationship due to money,,,, this is when you put your head up high, get out there in the world, search for a new job for stabilty and live a new life....
    tjnorton

Answer by tjnorton at 1:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Your senior may have to find a scholarship or grant to get through school. The previous four posters have some good advice and words for you, I think.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 6:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It is not selfless if you are unhappy. There is hope and as far as your child that what financial aid is for.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010