i need more details about Apraxia and Autism.

My step son is 6 years old and he still babbles unclear words, he understands much more than he speaks. His physical appearance and motor activities is along his age but his communication skills and speech are way delayed. Can anyone help with similar cases. He has been going to a speech therapist for 3 years as well as an Autism center which diagnosed him with mild autism even though i believe this is not his main problem.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't know what to tell you. We were concerned with out oldest son possibly having mild Apraxia. We never had him tested, so it's not an official diagnosis. My son will just freeze, refuse to speak. He will talk when very comfortable with someone. He drops the first letter on most words. He does much better when I 'prep' him ahead of time. "When they give you the cookie, don't forget to say thank you." or "We are leaving in a few minutes. After you pick up the toys, you need to go tell grandad goodbye." If I direct him ahead of time he almost always will speak to the people I ask him to. We are also working on him being friendly even if he won't speak. We tell him he can wave, shake hands, or even just smile/look at the person. I would encourage your son in small ways and work with the poor behavior on his skill level. Not sure if that makes sense - but like my son doesn't like to be around people so we . . .
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• . . . . work with him just listening and smiling - not necessarily talking. I was SO proud of him the other week at church. He went around to everyone collecting signatures (just for fun). He went up to every single person - never said a word. I had to let people know what he was doing. :D But I was just proud that he was approaching people. He is SO shy. People were a little frustrated with him not answering their questions, but it didn't matter to me!!

I will bump this for you because I don't really know that I am any help to you. I help you find some help and encouragement,.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2010