Ideas to help with toddler insomnia?

I have a three year old daughter and a four year old son, and latly their sleeping habbits are completely backwards. For the last month or so they have been staying up all hours of the night, even if I have them up all day, they still are up all night. I have tried no sugar, warm baths, taking them outside to wear out energy, turned out all the lights and layted in a dark room with them, nothing works. Now im 4 months pregnant and my energy levels are way down, and this is becoming unbareable. It is physically making me sick being up all hours. Im completely out of ideas at this point, and it has been taking a toll on all of us. I would like to get back to a normal bedtime routine with them, and have happy babies again.

Britt_MomOf4

Asked by Britt_MomOf4 at 4:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Lack of sleep could be causing some of the sleeplessness. Do they take naps during the day? If they take a nap, I would try getting them to nap before lunch, or eat an early lunch and get them down at 11;30.

What time do you put the kids to bed? We have had minor problems at different times with our kids (4, 3, almost 2, and almost 1 year old). The kids go to bed at 7 p.m. They must stay in their bed even if they can't fall asleep. What are your kids doing when they are up at night? I would do my best to keep it boring, put them in bed and stay in bed, lights stay off, etc.

I would think they would eventually get bored and realize it is better to stay asleep!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• hehe, I would think they would get bored too.

But normally I have them up with me by 8 or 9 in the morning and I usually do bath time for all of them around 6, and try to have them in bed by 7, latly it's been 8 because they are fighting me as soon as I get them out of the bath, I think they know that bedtimes coming. My one year old goes to sleep no problem, however does get woken up from there fits when they are getting in and out of bed. Ive been trying to do the whole boring thing, including shutting down the whole house at 7 just so they know nothing is going on and it's time to sleep, but they will lay beside me in bed for hours awake, I'll finally pass out from exhaustion and I wake up to them crawling over me, or getting into their toys, the TV, the fridge, the cabinets. It's just horrable right now. And when I fall asleep like that and they sneek by me in the dark im always terrified there going to get hurt.
    Britt_MomOf4

Comment by Britt_MomOf4 (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• What about putting a lock on the inside of the bedroom door? And putting their toys out of reach? Do you always sleep with them? Or is it just right now with the situation?
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• awe have you tried warm milk , maybe some relaxing yoga good luck hope you can get speedy help on that
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Right now I have them coming into my room at the end of the night, just so I can keep a better eye on them, usually they would sleep in their own rooms.
    Britt_MomOf4

Comment by Britt_MomOf4 (original poster) at 7:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Can you set up a bed on the floor in their room - for yourself? It might be better to get them sleeping in their own rooms so that you don't have to re-train them once they start sleeping in your room. I can't sleep on the hard floor, but I would sometimes make a bed with several quilts and lay on that in their room. Plus, once they fall asleep, I could sneak out and go to my own bed! Maybe put a bell on their door so you will hear it when they wake up.

I hope you figure out something soon. Those sleepless and restless nights are SO exhausting. It WILL pass! You may barely survive it, but eventually it will be a very distant memory. I had tons of problems with my first two - my third hasn't really had any issues. Maybe because the other two sleep so well now and she is just following their example. - It's SO worth it in the end!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Actually those are really good ideas, and thank you micheledo. I keep telling myself it will all be over eventually and it will work out, but im sure you know lack of sleep doesn't inspire much confidence. I just got to get past this rough patch.
    Britt_MomOf4

Comment by Britt_MomOf4 (original poster) at 3:30 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• im having the same problem with my 20 months old!!! he hasnt been going to sleep until 3am and it up by 9 (granted its 6 hours of sleep) he is a cranky snarly lil beast during the day until he gets a nap and then seems honky dory till bedtime. i dont fel there is any reason he needs to be up past 9pm so i have gotten to where i just say either you sleep or you dont. i put him down in his crib and let him do what he will. howver im am going to begin a sleep journal for him for a week or so and then bring it to his doc and see what she thinks. i know i have insomnia and im wondering if its hereditary.
    tylersmommy54

Answer by tylersmommy54 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2010