My daughter is 12 months and only says a handful of words...is that normal at that age?

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 5:08 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, I talked to the dr, and I cant rememeber how many words it was, but i am pretty sure it was 10 or less. None of mine have been very chatty, they just didnt have too much to say, but they sure do now!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 5:51 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 6:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes, that's normal. When my daughter was 12 months, I can only recall her saying maybe one or two words.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yeah, that's pretty good actually.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:10 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• yes it is. my middle daughter was a late speaker, and at 12 months she couldn't say anything except "one". she was barely using mama at that age. now, at 21 months, she can say about 25 words. it comes in time, don't worry :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• i know a couple babies that age said barely anything and by 2 were talking non stop they didnt need to talk bc they felt the could get their point accross by pointing and grunting lol and using hand motions id say thats just their personality and theyll talk eventually
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• She's doing great. No worries!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My grandson is 24 mo and only says bye, hi, back, up, Taco Bell (my dog's name) & all gone. He signs more and drink. That's about it. Once in a while he will just say a word perfectly and then he won't say it again. He understands very well. No daddy, mama, grandma, or even no. Your 12 mo is doing great!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:45 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• my son didnt start talking til he was over a year old and now he never shuts up,,, give her time..
    tjnorton

Answer by tjnorton at 3:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2010