What do you think of spanking?

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 5:10 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It's how I disciplined my children. They are now 40, 37, and 33, and they are all fine outstanding adults who are also spanking their children. It works when done properly and I would not do anything differently if I had the opportunity.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• sometimes my kids need a smack on the butt to make them realize the severity of what they are doing, and 9 times out of 10 it is a safety issue. If I tell my 2 yr old to stay away from the street and then she runs into it laughing thinking she is cute, she gets a hard smack on the butt, and she gets yelled at. I feel if I didnt do that and just chased her down she would think its funny and a game. I am not going to have something awful happen to my child bc people think I shouldnt spank.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 5:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I am for it. I do believe that you should be calm and NOT angry or frustrated when using the method though.
    AngelRT

Answer by AngelRT at 8:14 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Legally assault children? That is a crock of bull. Sorry linda, but your reasoning is wrong for it is not an educated argument. Throwing out what you "think" is bad (by comparing it to beating wives, slaves, etc...) only shows you have no clue as to the benefits. I go by Biblical reasoning, not to humans such as yours, lol. It does NOT teach violence and anger. A small switch gives a slight sting to the child and they remember that sting the next time they are about to run out into the road, for example. It teaches the child submission to authority. I do not believe in heavy handed spanking, that is where the "remarks" (and very uneducated) are coming from. I do not support spanking in anger, that will be what teaches the child violence....NOT the spanking itself.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 8:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Sometimes its the only thing that works. like last night I told my son three times not to climb up on his daddys truck. (mind you its a lift up truck, so the bumper is right above his head.) He didn't listen to me, and told me that it was okay. so I popped him on his butt three times, one for each time I told him not to get up there.....

I dont always spank my child. I hadn't spanked him in a few weeks until last night.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It's better than shooting...

It appalls me that it is legal to physically assault children --but no one else. If it were still legal to assault staff, slaves, spouses and animals, it wouldn't be that big a deal... but it is a big deal because the smallest and weakest and most dependent of our whole world are the ones the grown ups are allowed to hit.

Every single argument 'for' spanking kids has been rolled out in defense of beating spouses, beating animals, beating staff, and strangely it only holds up when it's about children.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I beleive in spankings only as long as you use a open hand on the butt, and no object to spanking your child it is ok i have already talk to social worker and police office about that they both say that is only way you are a legal a allow to spanking your child. Becouse sometime the child are hard head and have to spanking them if not they will want to run over me. You are not teaches violence you are teaches what is wrong and what is right to do What teaches violence is tv and movie and the kids around the nieghbor but you don't want to kept him or her from them.
    march3-2011

Answer by march3-2011 at 8:01 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I do spank my daughter. It is the last form of punishment I will use. If time-outs, having things taken away, firm "no's" and pops on the hand don't work, then we result to a smack on the butt.

I was spanked as a child, so was my husband. Neither one of us are violent or angry, so therefore that statement a previous lady said is not 100% true.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• dont do it. teaches violence & anger
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• -spanking only makes the parent feel better
    -causes the kids to fear the parent
    -makes the kid be more sneaky or careful about getting caught next time

doesn't solve anything. Down thumb all ya want, its how it was for me. I still did what I wanted, I was just more careful about not getting caught.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2010