3 year old has swollen lymph node HELP

My friend called me this morning worried because her son has a swollen lymph node on his neck below his jaw bone. Well, this is his second swollen lymph node. A couple months ago, he had a swollen lymph node under the base of his skull. He was given antibiotics and it slowly went away. Has anyone else had this problem with their child/children? Is it normal for this to happen often or is there something more serious? She is taking him to the doctor today and I told her to get them to run every test to make sure it is not cancer. I am just looking for more info from someone who has been through it.

2wndrfl_btrflys

Asked by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:09 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I had problems with swollen lymph nodes while growing up and despite mama's taking me to the doctor's, nothing was ever found. That was 40 some odd years ago and I am sure by now they know what is causing it. I will say for myself that it turned out I have an extremely strong resistance to virus and such and my lymph nodes swelling indicated that my body was fighting off something. I am older now and as I get older, it is less and less. I don't know if it will be the same thing for him or not, but with new advances in technology, I know the doctors will be able to help calm your friends concerns. I highly doubt it is cancer, in my humble opinion. The doctors had no business telling her that when there was no positive results! All they had to do was say "we are going to run some tests and see what is going on" without needlessly causing her to worry more. Poor baby, I hope he gets to feeling better soon.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 8:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My son has a node that gets bigger everytime he gets a bug or virus. It is at the base of his skull at the hair line. The ped says it is just reacting to the virus or bacteria. Not to worry. Good luck.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Almost every time my children get sick they get swollen lymph nodes. Sometimes I will notice that first before they have any symptoms and then sure enough they end up getting sick.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:20 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• A swollen lymph node typically indicates that your body is fighting infection. About a year ago though, my son's neck started to swell, ended up getting almost as big as a tennis ball. It ended up being a strep infection and they had to go in and surgically drain it (outpatient procedure) They said it was a swollen adenoid gland and he must have had a small cut or something and somehow the strep bacteria made it's way in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Thank you ladies. That helps a bit. I hope it is just him getting sick or something less severe. I worry too much I know.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Comment by 2wndrfl_btrflys (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2010