Is it true that you get more sleep when you breast feed your baby?

I am asking because alot of people have told me including my sister that that you get more sleep breast feeding just because you can feed the baby and go back to sleep and also does that help them go back to sleep as well. i am asking becasue i want to breast feed my son when he is born and just want to know if this is true or not.

MissMandy25

Asked by MissMandy25 at 8:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you cosleep, possibly. But most moms who complain about a baby waking to be fed every couple hours are told by other moms that it's only to be expected if you breastfeed, that formula fed babies sleep longer. I'll tell you right now, that's bull.
    Every baby is different. Some sleep for long stretches at a few weeks old no matter how they are fed. Some don't sleep longer than a couple of hours even at 10 months regardless of how fed. It's mostly due to the baby's temperment - not to how they are fed, where they sleep, or any "magic" parenting technique.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I never fed my baby while sleeping, and she didn't sleep in the bed with me, I wanted her back in her crib - or bassinet in the early days. But I did keep the lights low, and was half asleep the whole time. If you don't mind your baby in the bed, you would definitely be able to sleep while feeding your baby. Good luck, and congratulations :)
    Cheryn

Answer by Cheryn at 8:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• You also would be able to just feed her and put her back to bed. Rather than going making a bottle making sure its the right temperature making her all the fussier, and then calming her down feeding her AND THEN getting back to sleep. I admit that I let the baby sleep next to me with my shirt off and he eats while I get a little bit more sleep, but NOT suggested if you roll alot in your sleep. I always put him towards the inside of the bed and generally when hubby has already gone to work.
    KaileyRoo

Answer by KaileyRoo at 8:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I got more sleep, but we co-sleep. I BF both of my boys and they would go to sleep and I'd drift back off. And I liked that I didn't have to get up and get a bottle, heat it, etc. So my answer is yes, but only if the baby sleeps in your bed. Lots of luck! :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I breast fed my daughter and she did sleep in bed with me for the 1st month or so then in a basinet. Later in her crib in a different room. I have herad the opposite about getting sleep tho. they say that formula fed babies sleep longer and are fuller faster on the bottle. You probably wont be up as long as it takes breastfeeding your babe. If your son is anything like my daughter, she was the slowest, most finicky eater on the breast. she would fuss if she got uncomfortable or got greedy with the milk! lol. Breast milk flows slower while the bottle is quick and keeps them satisfied longer. So i would think that bottle feeding will get you the most sleep.
    LOOK BELOW....
    Anonymous

• Although, Breast feeding is the most sweetest thing as a mother and emotionaly its better for the baby. It starts to form a special bond between mommy and child. Besides its healthier for you and baby. That is the one thing I miss when my daughter, now 2, was a baby. you will figure out what works for you and your son.
    Anonymous

• I am currently breastfeeding and I don't think it matters either way. My oldest was bottle fed and she is 12 now, my second BF she is 7, and now my son 4 months, BF. I get just as much sleep as I did when I bottle fed. I do bring my son into bed with us to feed him, but I don't sleep well when he is there so then I have to get up and put him back in his bed (its right next to ours). It is nice not having to heat a bottle though... Congratulations
    mommyof4ormore

Answer by mommyof4ormore at 8:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• JMO, but this is the best way that I was assured some solid sleep. I didn't listen to all of the experts who said don't introduce a bottle before 4-6 weeks old. My son got a bottle of pumped milk at 10 days and from that day forward, my husband did one feeding so I could get some solid sleep. It wasn't a full night, but in those first few weeks, by the time you feed (whether breast or bottle), change them, comfort them and get them asleep again, you are barely lying down for a half hour before the next feeding, so 5 solid hours after 10 days of barely sleeping was like a miracle!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2008