Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Do Aunts and Uncles have legal vistiation rights and is this something that could be fought?

My fiance and I have a son that is 10 months old named Weston. My fiances sister use to watch Weston while I went to school. She started cussing me out one day saying that I never let her mom watch Weston. Now his sister is saying that she will take us to court to get visitation rights. I was just wondering if Aunts even have the right to get visitation rights

Answer Question
Thomas B.

Asked by Thomas B. at 8:35 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Relationships

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • No,there's no such thing

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • As far as I know, nope. No rights.

    Answer by armywife1229 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • I believe they might under certain circumstances, this doesn't sound like one of them. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's not like you are obligated to leave your baby with anyone you're related to just because they said so.

    Answer by skittles1108 at 8:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • I doubt it.. But I am just wondering why you do not let her see your son anymore?

    Answer by eluc at 8:51 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • She can take it to court and try. She most likely won't win. In LA the law states that anyone with an interest in the child can get court ordered visitation, if it is in the best interest of the child -I think this is for stepparents- for most people it is an uphill battle. It really depends on how your state words the child custody laws.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 9:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • She has no legal grounds for aunt visitation rights. And, unless the child was previously in the care of the grandparent (like they had custody at some point, you lived with them for an extended period of time and they provided care, etc) they don't have any grounds for grandparent rights, either.

    You can refuse to allow a family member that you don't want around to see the kids (unless, of course, you're talking the other parent...)

    Now, if she has something on you that she could use to prove you were an unfit parent (drugs, you're a prostitute, whatever - NOT saying you are, just examples) - then she could report you and try to have your kids taken from you, then she could apply - as a family member - to have the State give her custody, but again, she would have to have grounds for it, and the State would have to be the one to take your kid, and then determine to give your kid to her, so...

    I wouldn't worry about it.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • No

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • LOL! No.

    Answer by Raine2001 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • Nope. And I'd definitely cut this person out of my life until she treated me and mine with respect.

    Answer by Anna92464 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • No rights at all.

    Answer by martinmommy26 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.