what to do I don't know if as a babysitter it is my job to report her or what.

I babysit these 2 boys 20 months (can't walk and 3 years) neither on of them talk they babble. I new her when we were younger cause I use to babysit her, but I don't know her really anymore. These kids all she gives them for lunch is mac and cheese. She doesn't leave me any wipes, not enough diapers. They don't look like they get baths. It is 50 something degrees she leaves the baby in feet pjs and the older one in short sleeves and no coat. when she does have the baby dressed no shoes or socks. The 3 year old will be in the same clothes 2 days in a row. She brings them with soaked diapers. They were sick last week and it is no wonder. Today she brings them with bag and cups well the kids got the cups out of the bag so I let them drink the cup since she just brought it. Spoiled milk they were drinking I didn't know cause it was soon as she left CONT....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would report her
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• WHEN A 3 YEAR OLD CANNOT TALK JUST BABBLE, THAT MEANS THERE IS SOMETHING GOING WRONG PHYSICALLY OR MENTALLY OR THEY ARE BEING NEGLECTED....AND SHE PROBABLY HASN'T HAD HIM SEEN BY A DOCTOR TO SEE WHAT'S GOING ON...

HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU SPELL NEGLECT..............NOT DRESSING THEM PROPERLY, LEAVING THEM IN PISSY DIAPERS, NOT BEING FED NUTRITIOUSLY...THERE IS HELP OUT THERE FOR MOTHERS WHO CANNOT PROVIDE FOR THEIR CHILDREN. AS SHE HAS SAID, SHE HAS TRIED TALKING TO HER AND HER MOTHER...NO HELP. THERE IS NO EXCUSE BUT LAZINESS TO NOT CHANGING A BABIES DIAPER. NOT JUST BECAUSE YOU FORGOT. THOSE CHILDREN ARE NOT HER PRIORITY APPARENTLY...SHE DOESN'T EVEN LEAVE AN EMERGENCY CONTACT NUMBER. JUST A CELL.....OH NO.NO NO...CPS WILL NOT TAKE THOSE CHILDREN AWAY FROM HER IF SHE GETS HELP. CPS IS NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF TAKING KIDS AWAY TO SPITE PARENTS...ITS TO HELP THE CHILDREN BE SAFE AND WELL CARED FOR.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes, reporting her might be the best thing. If she is that bad with witnesses, can you imagine how bad it really could be with no one around.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I probably would too but if your CPS is anything like ours they probably wont do anything. Since you are the one taking care of them during the day I would tell her that you need a full pack of diapers and wipes and a change of clothes for each child to be left at your house just in case they get dirty. That way if you need to you can bathe them and put clean clothes on them after they get to you. If you can talk to her but if you think she will get easily offended just tell her that it is getting cold out so you need appropriate clothes,shoes, and a jacket on them in case you take them outside to play. this is a tough situtaion, good luck!
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Instead of putting her through the trauma, why not talk to her and give her a bit of education. I am sick and tired of seeing people "tattling" every time you turn around. She needs to be helped to better care for the children, but she does NOT need the stress of having cps in her home harassing her, which creates a BIGGER problem. If you can not physically talk to her, get a letter out to her. Just don't jump the gun...that is what happens way too many times and then the situation gets worse instead of better because of the undue emotional bull they are put through.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 8:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I don't mean to get all upset over this matter...There are women who cannot have children and then there are some women who have children and do not take care of them. I used to babysit children as well. And was in almost the same situation. Everyone always told me, those children are so lucky to have you because without you they would have no one to care for them the way they should. I hated that burden on me. It is the "mother's" responsibility to provide a safe and healthy environment for her children. I have two beautiful children and would move the world for them if it meant keeping them healthy and safe. To hear of you as a caregiver going through what I did, I can tell you what happened. I called Social Services and reported what was going on. They made her take parenting, financial, and life improvement classes. If she did not improve within a 6 month period those kids would be placed in a foster home together...
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• yeah, i probably would. would she be offended if maybe you talk to her about it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Mary - What if everyone out there that had a suspicion of a child being abused (in any way) took your advice and did not "tattle"? OP isn't a trained professional and talking to this mother will not get her anywhere. CPS can evaluate the situation and get the mother help, it doesn't always mean trauma and having her children taken away.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Though you do not know where she lives you must have an emergency number where she can be reached. Authorities can find her with that.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Set rules with them. They are in your care, your home and you are teaching them. You are a very important part of their life. Do the best you can for them, while they are there.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2010