have you ever been to your doctor and been asked....

if you mind if med students enter the room and listen or watch? did you say yes or no? if this hasnt happend to you what would you say? would it depend on what was going on?

I've actually had this happen at one of my old OB offices and i didnt mine one bit...i was just wondering if some women would refuse.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Health

• I had it happen once at the GP's office (when the Dr. wanted the med student to see what chicken pox looks like in an adult) and once at the OB's office. Both times I said "yes."
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yeah, it happens to me a lot it seems. I don't mind, as long as the students are professional.
    armywife1229

Answer by armywife1229 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes, the birth of my first child but at that point they could have put me out in the middle of Time Square and I wouldn't have cared. lol
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes I have had it happen sev times, my skin Dr., my Orthopedic Surgeon. I feel it's part of their training, their not treating me so I let them. Not too sure about in internal, it's bad enough the Dr. and Nurse are there, but probably would, they would most likely stand to the side.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I've never been asked, but I wouldn't object. I'm an RN so I know how important it is to be able to see and/or do things as a student. At teaching hospitals it's the norm and it's expected that there are students.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• i just know some women are really uncomfortable even going to the OB..so i was wondering if they would refuse others watching
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes, and I said okay.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I've been asked a few times when my son saw his former psychiatrist. And they probably asked at my first birth. I dont remember much of that one but I'm sure we said yes. I said yes to the psych. too.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I have a somewhat unusual medical condition and I've been asked this a lot in relation to it. I've never been bothered by it - I figure, they need to learn, and the student today could be my Dr in 5 or 10 yrs...

Also, when I had my dd, I was the first person to have a v-bac at that particular hospital (we were stationed in Gander, Newfoundland, and this was 16 yrs ago). While I was in labor, they wanted to bring in students to examine me, observe, etc. Again, I didn't mind - though I did start getting annoyed (and snarky with them) when they started making all sorts of comments like "love your accent - what part of the States are you from? Do you like it there, where would I suggest for vacation, etc... - I was like - HELLO - having a baby here, SO don't want to talk tourist spots right now!"
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I don't mind if it is me that is the patient, but my kids are different. My daughter was having medical issues, at 7, I made the request for no students. SHe was having enough trama without having MORE people look at her and ask questions.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2010