Does your child at age 8 or so know how to cook anything?

Moms_Angels1960

Asked by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, my 6 and 4 year old really like to cook. They've been cooking with me since they could hold a spoon. I let them start pouring ingredients in at that point. We've progressed from there until about six months ago when my six year old made his very first pizza completely by himself with me out of the kitchen and not looking (per his instructions) until time to put it in the oven. He was so proud! I have to tell you it was better than my pizzas. I told him not to be afraid to use cheese, and he took me seriously. My daughter likes coming up with new and interesting additions to recipes, and she's come up with some pretty good ones too!
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• When my kids were 8, yes they did. I started teaching them to cook at a very early age - it was "helping Mommy in the kitchen" and we made it fun for them. I didn't allow them to cook without permission first, and an adult had to be in the home though. They could make (by themselves) things like grilled cheese, scrambled eggs, boil (or microwave) hotdogs - that sort of thing.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:08 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• my 5 yr old knows how to microwave popcorn =) he likes to think he knows how to cook..i let him help sometimes..stirring and stuff
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• At the age of 8, my children didn't know where the kitchen was!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• my almost 5 year old son and almost 3 year old daughter love to help me cook. They know how to make grilled cheese and scrambled eggs and spaghetti. But when it comes to anything greasy that pops, then they are away from the kitchen. LOL
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• That's my goal. As it is, my two year old has already made both lunch and dinner for us under Mommy's supervision. She likes to help.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 9:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Both my boys learned at an early age how to prepare food. They were not allowed to use the stove/oven without adult supervision though.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 9:35 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• About two years ago when my kids were 5 and 6 we started letting them help in the kitchen. They know how to make many things, they just aren't allowed to do anything without adult right there helping/watching.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My 8 year old can microwave popcorn and she helps me bake cookies and stuff but as far as actual cooking like making anyhting she doesn't just wondered what others kids are doing
    Moms_Angels1960

Comment by Moms_Angels1960 (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2010