MY teacher is being rude to me

I'm in school, primarily for fun, but I'm coming accross an issue. My teacher honestly doesn't seem to like me.... as in, even other friends of mine in the class have commented that they can't believe how rude she is to me. For example, last class we had crit (its a jewelry/metal working class) on our drawing for our first big project. I'd forgotten mine at home (just like half of the class, but I hadn't realized it until we sat down to crit and I hadn't done a crap sketch on line paper) and when it got to be my turn I said I could sketch it out right now and she quite pointedly refused.... and then went over the sketches of other 2 people who did theirs DURING crit. Another time, my baby got sick and I had to leave early. I had some quick questions for her and, after establishing eye contact and asking her a question, she literally turned around and walked away from me.... completely and blatently ignoring me.

cont

IrishMommaC

Asked by IrishMommaC at 9:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in

• I've never had a teacher be so rude just to me (I had another one last year who was just mean to everyone, but thats a little more acceptable). I really don't know how to deal with her. If it continues, all I can say is that my usually glowing teacher review is not going to be so pretty for her.

I'm a little intimidating thinking that I'm going to have to do perfect work and complicated designs to get good grades from her.

Anyone have any tips?
    IrishMommaC

Comment by IrishMommaC (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• SHE WORKS for you. Treat her the way you would treat any employee who was acting inappropriately. Get with her privately and ask her what's up and let her know she's being obvious to others. You can even go to her boss. Remember SHE gets graded, too.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Amen admckenzie! IrishMomma, you are PAYING her to TEACH you, NOT disrespect you. I had a teacher last semester who thought to mock me. Big mistake. BIG mistake. I took it up with her supervisor. She had to apologize in front of the class.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 9:34 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• i'm sorry but i don't see any wrong on your teachers behalf
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I agree if you are having problems with her. first set up an appointment and attempt to talk to her about it, if it doesn't improve then go above her. Any self respecting teacher will tell you that it is the right course of action.

I have had a zillion teachers throughout my college experience and while not all of them were lovey dovey(like the other teacher you talk about) none have been this openingly disrespectful. Your views are backed up by your other classmates...so also ask them if they would be willing to come forward if needed later on, with upper management.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I've had one GREAT teacher, tough but fair, helpful and organized.

then there was the inept asshat whose syllabus was a hot mess that rambled and repeated a block of text three times. I asked him a question and his response was a dismissive "you need to read the syllabus". I turned in a set of chapter question answers assigned on the syllabus and he responds with "you don't have to turn these in, I treat my students like adults" yeah, dude, I can tell by your reply.

I transfered out of his class when I asked another teacher about his behavior, not using his name. She asked me who and when I DID say his name the two other people in the class did that "ooh, that's too bad" cringing/air sucking sound you do when you hear something bad. he's infamous for his bad attitude.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• one great teacher in 3 semesters of CC, that is. i ran out of characters.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Every time she's ruled or disrespectful to you. Write it down with time and date. You should pull her aside and ask her why do she have a problem with you. Tell her that you won't allow her to be disrespectful to you any longer. If she doesn't listen or stop been disrepectful to you take her A to the dean. I wish you Luck!!
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 3:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• report her if ur not happy
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Be the bigger person and "Kill with kindness"
    or
    go talk to the guidance councilor. (it couldn't hurt).
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 1:06 AM on Oct. 14, 2010