What do you do when your child yells "I hate you"?

I say "Good then I'm doing my job as a mom"

martinmommy26

Asked by martinmommy26 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 6 year old does this a lot. I tell him I love him. I read years ago that you shouldn't say something like that, because it guilts them - but honestly. I don't see how feeling guilty over saying something so mean is a bad thing.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I calmly said "sorry you feel that way right now" and went about the business of the day.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My son has said "I don't love you anymore" a couple times and he has said I hate you only once. What I say is... "You know you don't mean that and you are angry. I think you need to calm down because saying something like to your mom is very mean and makes mommy very sad. I know you don't like mommy being sad right?" and he will say no. Then I will say... "Then please don't say that to mommy anymore." He is still only four though lol so I am in a safe stage... if he was a teen I would probably say the same thing you do lol.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• i normally reply with a "Are your sure"? because I still love you which makes him very quite.
    sher1266

Answer by sher1266 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• ..i say "well i love you".."now go to your room and you can come out when you're not hating me anymore"...him.."i'm just kidding mommy..i don't hate you"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I tell them to go live on the porch, this is my house and if you don't like me, leave.
    They straighten up real quick.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It is always when they aren't getting their own way (0f course!) and it doesn't happen very often but when it does, I just say, "well, I am sorry you feel that way. But, I sure do love you and will never stop loving you." This has always worked for us and they don't feel that way for much longer.
    miraclewaits

Answer by miraclewaits at 9:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would just tell her I love her but so far that has never happened to me
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I dont say much exept "that makes me feel sad, I love you and hoped that you feel the same way"
    momtocrazyri

Answer by momtocrazyri at 10:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My DD went through a phase of saying I hate you because she thought it was fun. I cried over it. Honestly I didn't have to fake though I would have if I needed to. After she saw that it really hurt my feelings she stopped.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2010