Question for Christians...

If you are a believer- do you believe in Once saved always saved? Why or why not?

In my family, this is a never ending debate, so I'm curious as to what you all believe.

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• No, I believe you still have the choice to disobey God. I've seen people turn away from God's teachings. It upsets me to see it happen, but I can pray for those that do fall away just as I pray for those who've never put on Christ in baptism. Like those who are not baptized, they still have a choice. They have the opportunity to come back to him. We will never be perfect here on earth. But if you become baptized on Sunday and by Thursday you are back to your old ways and not giving a thought about it, you've fallen away. That could happen at any time during your walk with God. Sometimes out of stubbornness we say, I know what I'm doing is wrong but I just dont care. I'm gonna do it anyway. That is falling away. You're no longer in the light. Normal slip ups are going to happen and if you catch them you're truly sorry it happened and try again. I can try to explain it better privately if needed.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• No, I have my own views on it, I've read the bible and understand the concept of it. We have these discussions frequently in my family on Sundays at family dinner, I was just curious as to what the moms on here believe. Thank you for your input!
    SAHMomOf3

Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I am a Christian, and I guess you could say I believe in OSAS, since I believe there is nothing we can do to lose our salvation since I don't believe hell exists.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I believe that once you are truly saved, you are always saved. There are many verses that I base this on, but one of my favorites is John 10:28-30 "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one."

I am in Christ's hand and in the Father's hand and no one and nothing can take me out. I believe that includes myself! How arrogant to think that I can remove myself from the Father! He says that nothing can separate us from His love!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• yes and no. i believe once you become an adopted child of God, you have access to Him completely, meaning, you can screw up, but repent for your sin.that's what having the relationship is all about--just like human relationships, its a work in progress, and when you realize you have wronged someone you love, you go to them and ask forgiveness of them..since just because you are 'saved' doesn't mean you won't screw up and you get a free pass. you never attain perfection..but you can blaspheme the Holy Spirit, which if not repented of, puts you right back to the 'unsaved' category. i think.
    eternal-security teachers may cite Romans 8:39 as a quarantee. however, i believe there is a difference in the LOVE of God, and LIFE with God. we tend to group sin in categories as big or small, and often, all we are doing is whitewashing it. sin is sin..and it separates you from a rightness with God. God knows the heart, though..so...IDK.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I agree with dullscissors.

Salvation is a one time deal because the Bible tells us that nothing can seperate you from of the love of God... except our unbelief or our rejection. Repententance is a process, surrendering to the will of God is a process because even though we are saved we are still sinners, the world is still full of sin. It is a fallen world so we must keep ourselves in God's will by conforming our will to His, yielding to his Holy Spirit. We must be in the world but not of it always seeking God's face at all costs.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• In other worlds:

Salvation=forever
    Repentance=ongoing process
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Ha! I meant "in other words" not in other "worlds". Yes I am looking forward to heaven!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Obviously not. I am living proof. I was once "saved", though I am still not sure from what, and am now an atheist. Since I am, technically, a saved person, does that mean that the christians will have to stop telling me I'm going to hell?
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• witchqueen- I don't believe that any "Christians" should be telling you that you are going to hell. It's your personal belief, or nonbelief, whatever. If they are truly Christians, they let God do the judging.

The rest of you- very insightful. Thank you.
    SAHMomOf3

Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2010