Home remedies for an asthma attack?

My house is clean, we keep dust to a minimum. .My hubby just changed the filter on the heater. I stay away from ibuprofen because I know that induces attacks for me. I know most of my triggers and try to keep away from them as much as possible. I woke up this morning and still can't breathe. I'm trying to stay away from inhalers because I feel they're addicting. I am currently not on any medication for it, but used to be on Advair. I feel like all those things cause dependence, and I would like to stay away from them if possible. Anything you do at home to relieve a minor asthma attack?

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Health

• My husband uses hot coffee because the heat and caffeine opens up your airways.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I don't have any advice or tips but I am curious as well.

I am cautious about medications and we keep use to a minimum. With all illnesses, I prefer treatment with diet first. However, my youngest daughter has asthma. She is 5. She is rarely bothered by it so medication is not daily. Her triggers are seasonal allergies (spring and fall) and viral infections like the common cold and even stomach viruses. I can even tell when she is close to coming down with a cold, her cheeks and face around her eyes look "puffy", slightly swollen. I start giving her inhaler at that first indication because the longer I wait to start her treatment the harder it is for us to get the asthma under control. Ashtma is nothing to play with but I have heard of some breathing exercises that can help asthmatics. From what I read t is best for older children and adults. Look into it and ask your doctor about it.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My doctor has given me a few exercises, but they are mostly for prevention... I don't drink coffee because it makes me nauseous but I'm open to just about anything!
    SAHMomOf3

Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Well maybe some hot tea or hot chocolate would work for you then. I know hot chocolate works for my oldest because he refuses to drink coffee.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I've heard of the hot black coffee but I just can't stomach the stuff myself either. Sometimes I have trouble breathing, whether it's asthma or allergies or anxiety i'm not sure but I have been drinking hot tea. It seems to help relieve my symptoms.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My husband has severe asthma and always has. He sips on coke and says it works better than coffee. Its primarily sugar that helps because sugar is a natural relaxer and caffeine helps spread it through the blood. We always keep it around the house.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 6:46 PM on Oct. 2, 2010