how would i start the pms talk with my daughter or wat should i do ..?

not all gurls start early but i started my wen i was 9 yro and so did my mom so now my daughther is 8 going on 9 how would even start off the conversation about the monthly gift we all not like ... help plis need advice

chulafromhtown

Asked by chulafromhtown at 10:08 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My mother dodged that one so my sisters took over and got pamphlets from the local health department. Not having any daughters myself, I'm not sure how to go about that one. Maybe you could get a book from the library about changes in a girls body and discuss it with her? Giving you a bump so you can get some more helpful answers. Good luck!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• thanks
    chulafromhtown

Comment by chulafromhtown (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• First don't make it seem like a horrible thing... why scare her or make her worried about something that is natural? Approach her in a comfortable but private area and simply state 'You are getting older, changes are starting to happen to you and your body. Do you have any questions?' You might be surprised by how much she already knows. Good luck and I really am glad I only have boys!
    BriaMama

Answer by BriaMama at 10:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• PLEASE don't discuss PMS with her. LOL. Not all girls have PMS. I never did. My friends didn't. I have no idea why everyone assumes you go crazy every time your period is due, you know?Just explain cramps,etc. But she can be a calm,normal person, not a crazy PMS'er!!!
    Just say "You will get your period which is wonderful and you will be changing and becoming a woman and then someday when you are married,you will be able to have children because you have had your menstrual cycle..." etc. etc. Make it an exciting thing to look forward to. MyMom did that for me about 55 years ago! :-) I looked forward to getting my period and becoming a woman!!! It can be great!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I talked to my daughter already and she is 9. She was talking about boys and asked when she could shave her legs. I started telling her that she would enter puberty before long and told her what that entailed. She was interested and asked lots of questions. We are rather open about these things. Recently we discussed tampons and swimming on your period. I gave her info and will let her decide what to do when that day comes. Its not so hard to discuss but much better to open the conversation now then when it actually gets here. Right?
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Btw I didn't tell her a period was wonderful. I was honest with her. Told it exactly like it is. I am not sure why one would tell their child that a womens monthly cycle was wonderful. Truthfully the monthly cycle is annoying but necessary for babies to come about!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2010