how much would you be offended!??! i wanted to cry and chop her head off at the same time!!

i just went to the WIC office to get more checks. the lady was nice other than this one issue, well she weighed me, im 6 months pregnant and i told her to please not tell me my weight gain, i just would rather not know as long as im healthy and the baby is thats all that matters. she said alright thats fine. So she weighed me we go in her office and shes on her comp and she starts saying things like

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• CONT "Oohh..."and getting a worried look on her face i thougt i wasnt going to get back on wic and iwas kinda worried. what she said is IRRELEVANT to me getting on WIC. she said "a normal pregnancy you should only gain 20 lbs. and you have already gained 20. you need to watch that and not gain anymore. I only gained 20 lbs in MY PREGNANCY!" i said "my doctor has not said i have gained too much he said im perfectly healthy, i look good for being 6 months and the baby is okay and thats all that matters to me."
    Anonymous

• CONT
    I AM PISSED! what kind of TRAINING did this LADY have to sit there and TELL ME that MY PREGNANCY is not normal? Is she a doctor? NO! she isnt, shes just a woman at a wic office. my weight gain is irrelevant to me qualifying to get WIC. It was just HER opinion and what SHE THINKS...i have heard people will give there 2 cents during your pegnancy but MY GOD.. i want to call and complain to her supervisor.
    WOULD YOU BE MAD?!?
    Anonymous

• I would be upset, and I would complain.
    I am sorry that happened to you.

This professional should not be stressing a pregnant mom like this!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 8:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• That's not uncommon. Many people like to give their two cents. Ignore her. As long as you look good, feel good and are healthy, you should be just fine. I gained 55-60 pounds EVERY pregnancy. I could predict, within about 3 pounds, how much I would weigh when I delivered. Different people gain different amounts. She probably KEPT her 20 pounds! ;) I'm sure you are beautiful! Hope you have a healthy baby. (And I wouldn't call to complain...it doesn't usually do much good)
    lindseywhitaker

Answer by lindseywhitaker at 8:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Yes, I would be mad. And I would complain. But try not to get too worked up over it. If your doc says ur fine, then ur fine..Forget about her and her thoughts..I am sure you look great hun
    Anonymous

• i would be upset, but i also know that for some reason people feel the need to give "advice" to expectant mothers without being asked for it... this lady sounds like a know it all and i would've just nodded my head and said "well my dr isn't concerned and neither am i" and left it at that... i personally wouldn't do anything beyond that unless it happened again with the same lady... during the pregnancy i just had i struggled to put on weight because i couldn't keep anything down the whole pregnancy... i was given so much unwanted advice on how unhealthy it was, well duh! its not like i chose to have hyperemesis and be hooked up to IV's for 27 weeks to keep me hydrated... both my dr and i knew it was a problem, but it was my issue and when anyone would offer their two cents, i'd tell them that "fortunately they don't have to worry about it and that my dr was handling all my medical advice"...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 8:46 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• ha i told my mother about this and she asked if she was skinny and i actually looked at her body to see before i left and she wasnt FAT but she was SKINNY either. My mom said i should have said "are you pregnant now? because if you arent it looks like you could lose a few pounds because you seem to be a little over weight for the NORMAL ADULT woman."
    Anonymous

• yeah i would be pissed you even asked her no to say anything as long as everything was perfectly fine. i would have been a bitch right back to her and said that my doctor said everything was fine with my pregnacny and when she got her phd she could tell you how much weight to gain and you would listen. she had no right to say that to every person is different and we all gain different amounts, and what does it matter as long as the tow of you are healthy. she just wanted to be a bitch and find some way to tell you how much you have gained to get under your skin
    J_L_Fshr

Answer by J_L_Fshr at 8:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I would be talking to some kind of supervisor... but just wait til after you have your baby... then all the "advice" comes... good luck girl... and she doesnt know anything... normal weight gain is based on your size, but should be 15-35 lbs... shes stupid.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• it seems to be a pattern with WIC employess trying to give out medical advice and its almost always associated wtih weight, and almost always innacurate.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2008