What causes night terrors?

And when do kids normally grow out of them?

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 10:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You may never know what actually causes them, but you may be able to narrow it down to some "triggers". For example, My Son started having them almost a year ago when he was 2. He was having multiple terrors throughout the night and sometimes during nap time. We have found that he needs a very consistant bedtime routine to help control the amount and frequency of his terrors. His also seems to be heat induced so keeping a fan on him at night has also helped. This has not cured the terrors, but he's now only having a few a week now. There is a night terror support group you should be able to find by googling it. It has helped a lot with dealing with night terrors for us.

KathrynJL

Answer by KathrynJL at 11:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Kids usually start to outgrow them about the time they are 5.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:26 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My kids used to have them. They got a "special" animal (one was a bear and one was an octopus) that would stay awake all night and keep away all the bad dreams, and a dream catcher also. This seemed to help them, and they pretty much stopped altogether around 4 or 5.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• No one really knows for sure. You can try to locate and eliminate triggers to cut down on them. Most kids grow out of them by age five or so; I never really "grew out" of them, just learned to deal with them and their triggers and not wake up screaming bloody murder lol. DH appreciates that a lot :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My daughter only gets them here and there, and it seems like when shes really super tired (like she skipped a nap or barly slept the night before) it kind of tiggers them. Her doc told me to make sure she gets enough rest, has a nice calming night routine, and that they usually happen an hour or 2 after they fall alseep so kind of arise them not even where they wake up, but just enough to take them out of that really deep sleep. BTW they don't remember night terrors, but they will remember a night terror. Her doc told me not to try to wake her if she is having a night terror, which idk really y. I would call your childs doc and have a talk with them!!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 2, 2010