babysitting problem...(and rant)

I started watching an 18 month old little boy... when they first dropped him off they said he is potty trained, so i asked if I have to ask him if he has to go, or does he do something to let me know ( he cant talk yet) ... and they said to just set him on the toilet every 15 mintues........ I mean, that really isnt potty trained is it? But I did.. I took him every 15 minutes to the potty, after the 3rd time, we came back into the playroom and he peed everywhere...which wouldnt have been that bad if they would have sent extra clothes......So when they picked him up I mentioned he had an acciedent but didnt have any extra clothes ( i had to put some of my sons smaller clothes on him) ... hopeing they would get the point and bring some clothes the next day, but they didnt... and everyday we have the same problem... would it be horrible to just put a pull up on him during the day ( and still take him to the potty)

2lilbumblebees

Asked by 2lilbumblebees at 10:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• That way i dont have to worry about him peeing or pooping in the only clothes that comes with him, and I can stop "giving away" my sons clothes ( they havent brought any of them back yet) ...

What can i say to the parents, I really need this babysitting job !
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would directly tell the parents they need to bring extra clothes for him. I would also politely ask for my son's clothes to be returned.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:46 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with the pull up. And I would just out right tell them that you need a few extra pair of clothes.. could you just keep some there and wash the soiled ones? that way you always have some and won't have to rely on them washing and bringing them back.

If it happens again (after you have had the discussion) I would just leave him in a pull up or whatever till they ocome and they can figure out what to do then.

Also if you really need this job, you can go to a thrift store and buy some extra clothes for him and then KEEP them at your house washing whatever he comes in and putting it back on him the next day. that way you always have clothes and can stop giving you son's away.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• thansk tnt ... I did try that on the 3rd day - keeping his clothes and washing them, but they are the kind of people that spend ALOT on clothes and asked me where the clothes were, and I said I was washing them and the mom said that she will come pick them up later.....

But I think i will take ur idea of buying some cheap clothes....thanks
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• @my2.5boys
    Totally agree, here's a vote up.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 10:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I dont think having to take a child to the potty every 15 minutes is potty trained...It is probably only working somewhat because he is on the potty so much especially if he is having several accidents a day and I think its a little unrealistic for the parents to expect a babysitter to take their child every 15 minutes...you may as well have him on the potty all day..that is crazy. I would flat out tell the parents that they need to bring extra clothes for him, if they do not want to leave them with you they can bring extras every day and you can send the soiled clothes home with them in a plastic bag. I would also ask them to buy him some vinyl pants to put over his underwear until he is actually potty trained if they do not want to put him in a pull up so that it somewhat contains the mess that you have to clean up.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would use the pullup too. You can't devote your entire day to this issue. You can sit him on the potty when you can but not have to worry about the accidents. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Having him "sit on the potty" every 15 minutes isn't potty trained imo- it's beginning potty training. DD tells us most of the time when she needs to go potty, and if not, she holds it until we take her. She wears plastic pants over her underpants in case of accidents, and the people who watch her have the option of using pull ups if she has a lot of accidents, I just ask (since they are my parents) that they buy them. I would have no problem with a child of mine wearing pull ups if they were at someone else's house and that person was still taking them potty regularly, and they were still having frequent accidents. The plastic pants we got were at Walmart, four for five dollars, just rinse them out after an accident and dry them.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• You need to tell the parents to bring extra clothes and also that the child IS NOT POTTY TRAINED...
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 4:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Every daycare I have ever had my children in requires changes of clothes up to the age of 4 or 5. Even in a pull-up, he could still soak through it, so you need them to bring extra clothes. And, no, I would not consider him potty trained.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2010