Hi Moms...Does anyone have a good suggestion for getting rid of fleas?

my INDOOR!!! cats have fleas. I treated them both with Advantage, so their fleas are gone, but I found one on my rug and would like to know if you have had any success in getting rid of fleas - especially without harsh chemicals.
thanks so much for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not going to happen without chemicals. Go to your vets office and get their bombs. Its a bit expensive but worth it. You'll have to spend a day away from the house. Arrange for your pets to be boarded while you do it.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I don't know where you live, but we have a store called Southern Agriculture. It's about $25 a bottle, you spray it on the furniture and carpet and leave for a few hours. Not sure what it's called, but it works. The best way to get rid of fleas though is to treat the source!!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Sprinkle a mixture of borax and salt (dont necessarily need the salt) on your carpets. Leave it there for 3 days. It will not harm the furbys but if you kids of the crawler/ taster set, dont do it. Vacuum up.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• don't think you'll have much success without chemicals, your best bet is to buy the Flea Bombs, and just bomb your house. follow the directions on the box. you can also get a flea powder, sprinkle it on your floors then vaccum it up. our cat brought fleas into the house, we did both of these and they're gone. our cat is now an indoor cat!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Shake salt (regular table salt is fine or use stronger like sea or kosher) over your carpet, leave on for an hour or so, vacuum. Do a few times a week. Should help cut down and eventually get rid of the fleas.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• you can also use baby powder. It's so fine that it smothers the fleas. vacuum, vacuum, vacuum.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I don't know if this exists anymore but they used to sell these things that plugged into the wall that look like a nightlight with a place underneath that holds a sticky pad. You had to make sure the room was completely dark & the only light source was from the night light. The fleas jump up toward the light & stick to the pad. I used to use them when we had cats & the fleas were in our rug. I have also read about putting a shallow pan of water with a few drops of liquid soap in it & a small light (like one of those goose neck desk lamps) shining over it. They jump into the pan of water & drown because they get coated w/ the soap & cant swim to the side.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• We've had this problem many times. We ended up having to get an exterminator after trying almost all of the above remedies. I think it depends on where in the country you are and what season it is for those to be effective. After the exterminator came, we vacuumed 2ce a day for about a month to get any eggs, and always emptied the vacuum OUTSIDE afterward, don;t leave it in, or they'll just come back out. Our exterminator ended up having to treat practically every surace in the house including our beds, so get rid of them soon, or YOU"LL have fleas, not just your pets!
    Also, some children can be extremely susceptible to flea bite allergies, so make sure you're checking your kiddos for bites and cleaning them well. A little benadryl to control itching. For some reason, our kids flea bites always ended up infected way worse than any mosquito bite they ever had.
    Kentuckygal511

Answer by Kentuckygal511 at 7:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010