Last Baby: Would you do C-section to do tubal ligation?

I know I have a long time to wait (i'm 8weeks) but last time my doctor kind of threw this question out at the last minute and I had no time to think about it. So I want to ask it now to be prepared later. This is our last baby no matter what. Its our second and I've never wanted more than 2 kids. On the one hand I want a normal birth. On the other I don't want to have to be on bc for years and take the chance of more kids. I also don't relish the option of surgery. DH won't get fixed. He's refused, so its up to me. The doc offered to do a c-section and tubal ligation all at the same time with my DD. I obviously refused then but think this time I might do it. Would you do it?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 11:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• HELL NO! I would NEVER opt for an unnecessary c-section. There are so many risks to that not to mention the horrid recovery.

They can STILL do a tubal if you don't have a c-section. You just may have to go back in a few weeks later for it if they can't do it while your in the hospital for birth.

OR there is the ESURE Procedure that is PERMANENT that they can do right there in your doctors office.

I would never get permanent birth control but if I did I certainly wouldn't attach a c-section to it.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Why can't you do a vaginal delivery and then get your tubes tied while in the hospital. With a c-section there are many more risks and complications then giving birth vaginally and then having your tubes tied via laporoscopically. I would look at other options before deciding to have a c-section unnecessarily.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• No, you don't have to have a c-section in order to have a tubal.. If your Dr is telling you that, well you need a new Dr.. I had my last child at 1 am and by 7 I was in the OR having my tubal.. Yes, it was a vaginal birth. The incision was less than an inch below my belly button. I know of many many women that had natural births and before they left the hospital they also had a tubal..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Mine never suggested c-section for tubal! I had my baby vaginally at 10pm and had my tubes tied laproscopically the next day. I had an epidural for birth, they left it in (turned off the meds but left it there so I wouldn't have to have a spinal). I was put out and numbed, and was back in my room an hour later. They made a 1-inch incision in my belly button - after it was all healed you couldn't see it if you didnt' know it was there. I didn't have to recover twice - I just had to recover from labor/birth, the tubal didn't make recovery any worse. Do NOT have a c-section just for the sake of tying your tubes! It is very easy to have them done within a day after birth. Don't go back weeks later either - then you're looking at recovering twice, instead of recovering from 2 things at once - it was the easiest recover I had!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't opt for a c-section. If i had to have one, than i would get the tubal ligation than, if not i'm sorry but my husband would have to get taken care of. I think it's just ridiculous to think that a woman would go through a much more extensive surgery, especially right after having a baby, but the man is so selfish that they wouldn't get anything done. They really don't have to do much more in the baby making process, well nothing that they don't enjoy anyways...
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 10:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I wanted to avoid a c-section and I was not at all comfortable getting a tubal ligation. My husband had a vasectomy the day after our second child was born. I wouldn't want to be in extra pain and trying to care for a newborn. If you have to get a c-section anyway and are comfortable having a tubal, I say go for it. If you don't have to have a c-section though, I wouldn't put yourself through that extra just for it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My sister had a tubal ligation when she delivered her last child. She delivered vaginally and then they did the tubal.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• You also don't have to go back weeks later... This is a way they can make more money...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I did it and i have not looked back lol we have two amazing daughters my 18 year old is a sophmore in college and my 20 year old is a senior... It was the best thing i could have done foe me ... My bikini cut is hardly visible now i love it and all we wanted was two children.. So imo go for it.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Surgery does sound horrible but a c section is the same as surgery and i think i would rather a small incension from a tubal than i would a large one from a c section. Also the natural birthing is the only way for me unless i had to hve a c section. Good luck
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 2, 2010