SEAT BELT USE IN PREGNANCY!?

WHAT SHOULD I DO.. I HAVE JUST GOTTEN A NEW CAR. I AM THE ONLY DRIVER.. AND IT HAS A SEATBELT WHICH IS TOO SHORT TO REACH ARROUND ME..PREGNANT AND ALL. I ASSUME IT WILL WORK AFTER THE PREGNANCY...

So Do I just not wear one? I have heard from some.. My Doctor.. that it may actually be more healthy for the baby.. Not to wear one..

So I am looking for some responces.. and any links you all may know of. TY!

MAKEMYDAY101

Asked by MAKEMYDAY101 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i do not like seatbelts while prego but thats because when i was prego with my first i was in a finderbender and the ambulance driver told me i would more than likely have lost my baby if i were wearing it. He said it would have put to much pressure on my lower stomach for the baby to have made it thru. But im not sure because luckly i didnt wear it and she was ok. I always just ride passanger and put my feet on the dash so if something happens i can brace myself as much as possible. I would rather break my legs than lose my baby
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• You can buy extensions for the seat belts
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Wearing ur selt belt is the law. U should still wear your seat belt being pregnant. It lays below the belly NOT around so if you get in an accident it won't put pressure on the belly and kill him/her. I wear mine. So, yes buckle up.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 11:32 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• The best $14 you'll spend, you can find other websites, just google seat belt extensions

http://www.ecrater.com/p/6270933/165-inch-seat-belt-extension-extender
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• get a seat belt extender, if you get into a crash you are more likely to have serious injuries to yourself and the baby if you are not wearing your seat belt than if you were not wearing one. Just make sure you are wearing it correctly, under your belly across your hips and over your shoulder across the chest and off to the side of your belly, not across the belly. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/159_30430.asp

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It's SAFER to wear a belt. I've never heard of a doctor or health organization recommending otherwise while pregnant. Everything I've read just says to position it under your belly.

Anyways you can get a seat belt extended from your dealer (often times for FREE). I had to get one when I was pregnant with my daughter and then had to use it again with our son because the drivers side seat belt is short in our car and wouldn't fit around my pregnant belly.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Well, regardless of how I feel about the law, my state is one of the pushy click it or ticket states. They dont give you much choice. You can go to the parts store and get an extender to help it fit over your belly. I used to tuck the belt under my belly. No idea how safe or unsafe that was for either of us.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• IT IS SAFER TO ALWAYS WEAR A SEATBELT, EVEN WHEN PREGNANT!! To avoid injuring yourself and your baby, though, the seat belt must be properly fastened. The lap belt should be secured below your belly, low and snug on your hipbones. Never wear the belt across or above your belly. During a crash, the sudden jolt from a belt in this position could cause the placenta to tear away from the uterus.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I agree with the ladies who say it's safer to wear a seat belt. My husband had to stop suddenly the other day to avoid an accident and it didn't hurt me. They baby is protected by the amniotic fluid

ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 3:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I never wear one - pregnant or not - but when I'm pregnant there is no way you would catch me with a seatbelt on! NEVER! Nearly 30% of all miscarriages are cause by seatbelts. I have yet to find a good reason for the added risk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2010