What can I do for a 2 year old that is allergic to dogs?

My stepson has a cough w/ runny nose and watery eyes everytime he comes to my house. I believe he's allergic to my dogs. Is there any safe over-the-counter remedy to treat his allergies? I don't need a permanent solution, just something until his doctor's appointment later on this week.

newbieof2

Asked by newbieof2 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get rid of the dog. I am allergic to dogs and my mom got one when I moved out. I couldn't even go to her house because I would get a pounding headache and stuffy head.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 12:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Children's Benedryl? Call a doctor or ask your pharmacist to be sure. But that would be my suggestion.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't get rid of the dog. I grew up with bad allergies but loved my animals to much (I still have slight allergies but all are tolerable) I just take over the counter Claratin (spelling?) and it helps a lot, and for the eyes I use eye drops. Also washing my hands after I pet them and not letting them near my face helped a lot too.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think they have over the counter childrens claratin (spelling?) not sure if it's ok for toddlers though but it doesn't hurt to check.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• They have Zyrtec for children 2 and up. My son has been on it for a year. You should check with his Dr. first though. Our Dr. gave us 4 small bottle with about 4 doses each to see if it would work for him before we bought any. You give it once a day.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 1:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Benadryl, Claritin, or Zyrtec is what our ped recommends for DD's allergies. If he is below the weight limit, give him a half dose. Claritin and the generics do make DD pretty drowsy, so watch for that. Zyrtec and its generics seem to work better and faster, but that may be individual- they have always worked better than Claritin for me too.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Thanks so much for your feedback. I bought children's claritin and it worked for everything except the watery eyes, but I'll discuss that with his doctor this week. You guys have been a big help :-)
    newbieof2

Comment by newbieof2 (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010