Have you rented a house?

How was your experience? What were you looking for, and what did you get? What utilities did you have to pay? Did the home have a washer and dryer? Do you have a good landlord? Is there anything you would change or add? How did you find your rental?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 11:43 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I've always rented a house. You can find rental homes all over the place, news papers, Realtors, and mostly just by asking around. Most rental houses aren't going to come with a washer & dryer or furniture. And the majority of them do not include utilities of any kind in the rent, however there are exceptions. Just like with any apartment, there are good and bad landlords... But overall our experiences have been good ones.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:48 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Sabrina - you made me think of another question...
    Why have you moved from one rental house to another?
    sojourner.

Comment by sojourner. (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• We live in a rented house. We have to pay for all utilities. We have our own washer and dryer, but the house came with a fridge and stove, so some rented houses may have a washer and dryer already installed. Our "landlord" lives in California, and we live in Tennessee, so we deal with any problems through Coldwell Banker.

I can't think of anything we would change or add. The house has some problems because it's old (like 1920s-1940s old), but if we were to change anything it would ruin the house.

My husband works for the post office, and when he was delivering mail one day he found a house that he liked and told me about it. Before we got a chance to look at it, he found out it was already rented, but Coldwell Banker gave us a list of other available rentals, and that's how we found this one.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Why did I move from one to another? Because we out grew the house we were in or got a better deal somewhere else.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I have rented a house before, and I have rented a townhouse. Two different experiences. I found them both through a realtor.
    The townhouse ($950 a month) was managed by a management company, and they were pretty easy to deal with. We paid for gas and electric (trash, water, and sewer were covered by the HOA).
    The house we rented ($1200 a month) was owned by an out of state investor, so they were more difficult to deal with. We paid for electric, gas, water, and garbage.
    Both places had a washer and dryer.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• We rent a house, and found it just by driving around. We haven't settled on a place we want to live permanently so have been renting the past couple of years. We brought our own washer/dryer. The landlords lived in the house for the previous ten years but couldn't get it sold so they rented it out. They are really great people. Love the house. We pay all utilities
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 12:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• We've always rented. Normally found in the local paper or word of mouth. Most landlords are ok. Though I always assume their just in it for the money. I've moved because I've found better options or wanted out of the country.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I lived in a rented apartment when I was in college.

It was a 2-bedroom place in NYC, fully furnished, no individual washer or dryer but there were 20 of each for everyone to use in the building, I have to pay all utilities.

I was looking for a 1-bedroom apartment but ended up in a bigger one because I loved the building and the furniture in it.

mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 12:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• DH already lived in it when we met and I moved in when we married. We paid no water (rural), we paid phone, no garbage or sewer (not in town so didn't have those luxuries), we paid electricity. We actually paid no rent the last 6 months we lived there because the guy told us he planned to tear it down when we moved out. He was a sweet old guy and DH lived there so long he really didn't care - he didn't need the money either, lol. And it was only $125/month, no loss to him. It had a washer/dryer that DH "bought" - it needed repair, landlord said "you pay for the repair, and you can keep it when you move out". We bought a house after that - it was our plan. Now we're looking to buy another, bigger house.
    Anonymous

• I am currently living in a rented home. My land lord is alright (better then a couple I have had) but still a land lord. He covers water, sewer, and garbage. I cover electricity and gas. It's a two bedroom home (third room is an office but could be a third bedroom), large kitchen and living room and one bathroom. I have rented two homes, and each one has had a washer and dryer, fridge and stove. No furniture. (which is fine I have my own). I prefer the homes over apartments or town homes. We have a yard for my dog and WAY more privacy. I found this and the last house through word of mouth and moved because I haven't found a place to settle in yet.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:44 PM on Oct. 2, 2010