How to get my toddler to gain weight!!

I have a 13 month old daughter, she is almost 14 months. She eats like a pig and drinks whole milk. I have weened her off the bottle and I'm not giving her formula anymore. She is very active and the problem is that she won't gain weight. She only weights 17 pounds. The doctor and Wic think its because she has a fast metabolism. Should I be worried. She isn't loosing weight, she just isn't gaining it that fast. What should I do?

Becca1189

Asked by Becca1189 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she is slender,that is good because then chances are she will be a slender adult---and that is a GOOD thing!! If the doctor isn't worried, then don't worry!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I'll tell you what doctors told my mom when I was a kid and very underweight: If the child is active, developing, interacting, and otherwise healthy, there is no need to be concerned. Toddlers can function on what seems to be very little, and as active as some kids are, they can burn through stuff pretty fast. As long as she continues to grow on her own curve and at a relatively steady pace overall, she's fine. She may never grow out of not gaining weight fast, I never did and still gain very slowly if at all- my static (non pregnant) weight seems to top out at about 105, and I'm not exactly short. If she were losing or not meeting milestones or regressing or something like that, that would be cause for concern, but not slow gain/high metabolism. I have personally found, though, that a diet high in carbs and proteins makes me feel more healthy/better than a more widely/evenly spread diet. Whole milk did squat for me :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• When my baby girl became a tot, she plateued majorly. She quit really gaining weight, but was growing taller and leaner. Your toddler is moving more, learning more, and burning more calories. She is replacing *baby fat* with muscle. If she is functioning well, I wouldn't worry what number the scale is giving her.
    momto1plus2b

Answer by momto1plus2b at 3:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I wouldnt worry about it. I have a tiny tot as well.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 1:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2010