Do you think that the school counselor should be able to pull your child from class without your knowledge??

I have had a recent run in with the counselor at my childs school...

The story:
My dd comes home from school and tells me that day she had a problem with her friend. DD was working on school work when 2 kids come up and say Ali wants you. Dd says I am busy. 2 kids say but she wants you NOW! DD says I dont care. 2 kids go back and tell Ali that she doesnt care. Drama Queen Ali then refuses to speak to DD. Since dd was up set I told her to ignore the girl (she had already tried to explain) and that this would blow over and if it didnt the girl wasnt THAT good of a friend. Little girl SILLINESS! Done. Drama Queen Ali puts in a note to the counselor that her and dd are having an argument (uumm no). Counselor pulls dd without talking to the teacher OR ME! I was pissed!

I think that if an issue is important enough for dd to be pulled its important enough for me to be called! What do you think??

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Just silly. I wouldn't want my kid pulled out of class over this nonsense either.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 11:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Unless it's an issue of discipline or something, no, I don't see any reason for you to be called. And it's part of the counselor's job to communicate with students, unless you want her to keep your child after school, when do you want her to talk to your kid?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• i would be mad also,they should have called you if they were going to talk to your clihd about any thing.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It sounds like your daughter snubbed Ali when she said she didn't care if Ali wanted her and, obviously, that would hurt Ali's feelings. I can see why Ali took a note to the counselor. But I would talk to your daughter and suggest she be more sensitive to other kids' feelings.
    Maybe you need to discuss this with the counselor and see if you can all come to some kind of agreement and mention that you would like to be notified in the future. But make sure YOU are also polite and sensitive to everyone's feelings so that they will be more likely to accept your request to be notified. Good luck.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I do not believe that they should be waiting class time over this. if there was a suspected major bullying, molestation or abuse...fine you might be needed. But unless that involves an accusation against me or my hubby then I need to be informed THEN TOO! THIS was a complete waste of time and my child had to re make a TEST over this silliness!

And ALSO I think it was really crappy that the teacher had no idea why the kids were pulled!! Ummm...shouldnt she be privy to whats going on in her class!! Or at LEAST asked if SHE  had done anything already!?

momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think you're overreacting. It's not as though she were punished or kept after hours. It's the counselor's job to talk with students.

Control issues?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Gerti...she was WORKING on SCHOOL WORK and told the 2 kids she didnt care if Ali WANTED HER she was BUSY. ALI (aka drama queen) decided to have hurt feelings. Not MY problem and certainly NOT WORTH my childs education being disrupted!! These kids have GOT to learn to figure out these silly problems with OUT adult involvement or they will be SCREWED later in life!!

momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• No, they do not have an obligation to call you unless your child or the other child are harming one another or another student. If it is a verbal matter then it can be handled within the school and no parents are needed to be called. If the problem continues and/or gets worse then parents should be involved. I do agree that the counselor could've sent home a note explaining the situation, but if the problem was handled within the school nothing more should've been done.

It's a ridiculous situation either way and the counselor didn't even need to be involved. However, Ali seems to be one for drama, so she clearly wasn't getting enough with just your daughter involved.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think you're over reacting. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 12:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't want to be called over this. I'm busy and honestly a kids squabble can be handled by the teachers and yes a counselor. I understand your frustration with your child having to redo a test. But your child was rude. Not that the other child was right either. But its not worth blowing things out of proportion. A note home would have been fine with me. And then I'd chat with DD about the proper way to tell her friend she was busy at the moment.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2010