Stress and parenting

I don't even know how to phrase this into a question. My son is 15 months and driving me to tears. I just sat down on the bathroom floor and cried my eyes out. He refuses to take naps, and I put him in his bed just so I could take a shower. My husband took my 2 1/2 year old to see Beauty and the Beast. My son was screetching at the top of his lungs so I went in to check on him (he had only been in there like 2 minutes while I started the water running in the shower). He had pooed so I attempted to change his diaper and he screamed and screamed at me. Not like he was tired but he was ANGRY. He escaped and got poo everywhere. Then hits me with his pacifier. So I tried to read him a book but he squiggled out of my arms. Finally I just put him back in his bed with some toys and he was screeching. He destroys everything and doesn't obey anything I say. I feel like he hates me.

crystalhuskey

Asked by crystalhuskey at 11:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All I can say is we all have tough days. He does sound pretty difficult. Just stick to your guns and make him do what you want him to do. With a little guy tired=angry, at least with my two year old. He's really little. Try not to get bent out of shape. Did you try to read him a book after he hit you. I wouldn't have. That's positive reinforcement for something negative. Be careful about the messages you're giving him. Be strong and consistent and it will get better. He doesn't hate you. He just wants his way. Don't take it personally. Punish bad, reward good and remember you're the mom.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 12:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• No, I put him to bed after he hit me. My daughter was so much easier! Or maybe I just had more patience because she is my first.
    crystalhuskey

Comment by crystalhuskey (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I have a three year old, and a 9 month old. There are some days I get stressed too! I agree with hazel, he doesn't hate you, just wants his way. I'd stick to your guns Momma, and know that all babies have their bad days, and you aren't the only Mom that gets stressed to tears. When you get aggravated, put him in his bed, if he's not tired give him a couple toys, and take a quick breather.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 12:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I had a tough week like that a few weeks back and my DS is 2 1/2. That said he really didn't get difficult until 29 months. Hang in there maybe it means he won't do it at 2 1/2 ..LOL...GL!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010